Back
Next

Oxford boundary markers: St Clement’s Street (1858)


St Clements stone from left

St Clement's stone from right

 

This reddish stone is stuck behind a lamp-post near the bus-stop outside 78 St Clement’s Street, near the junction with Morrell Avenue, and is shown first from the left and then from the right.

It is inscribed CSJD 1858, and marks the boundary of the ancient parish of St Clement’s with the new ecclesiastical district of Cowley St John. This was served by a temporary iron church in Stockmore Street, and it was not until 1868 that it became a full parish.

 

Not a listed structure

 

 

Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013