Back
Next

Oxford boundary markers: Barracks Lane West (1892)


Boundary stone in Barracks Lane

 

Inscription illegible

 

This stone is in Barracks Lane beside the Boundary Brook, to the south-east of the Oxford Spires Academy (formerly Southfield School)

It marks the new boundary of Oxford after 1889, and probably dates from 1892
(see the two Headington boundary stones on the line of the brook)

There is also a benchmark on this stone

 

Frederick Ansell was Mayor in 1891/2,
and there was a special beating of the bounds that year

 

 

 

Map showing the extended
boundary of the City in 1889

 

 

Not a listed structure

 

 

Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013