Back
Next

Wolvercote Common 1 (1899)


Wolvercote Common

 

WOLVERCOTE

COMMON

AND PARISH

BOUNDARY

1899

D. COLLETT

CHAIRMAN OF

PARISH COUNCIL

————

 

Marking the boundary of Wolvercote Common and Port Meadow, this is the eastern of a pair of matching stones.

These two stones are unusual: they were put up by a local parish council defending the boundary of its village (Wolvercote) rather than by the Mayor and Councillors of Oxford proudly marking the extent of their city. Hence they turn their back on Oxford.

 

Not a listed structure

 

See matching stone to the west

 

Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones

 

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013