Back
Next

Oxford boundary stones: St Giles’s Street hundred stone


Hundred stone in St Giles

 

H E R E
E N D E T H
N O R T H
G A T E
H U N D R E D

 

 

Ancient stone outside 42 St Giles’s Street
marking the northern boundary of the Northgate (Oxford) Hundred and the start of the Bullingdon (Headington) Hundred.

Everything to the north of this stone up to and including Summertown was until 1929 in the Headington rather than the Oxford registration district.

This is a Grade II listed structure:
List Entry No 1046585

On 13 November 1671 the Mayor of Oxford informed the city council that “the publique highway neere Bridweell is much ruinated, the Northgate Hundred pound and the Antient Stones which were boundarys to the Hundred are worn out and removed.”

 

Back to list of Oxford
boundary stones

 

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013