Back
Next

Oxford boundary stones and markers


See also Milestones

The date above each stone is the date it was erected, which is often a year or two after a boundary change.
The five marked with an asterisk and the two Hundred Stones at the end are Grade II listed structures.
Click on each stone to find out more about it, or follow the arrow above right to tour them all in date order

1635*
Rose Hill
Foot of Rose Hill,
near Iffley Turn

1667*
Warneford LaneWarneford Lane,
near Cheney Lane

1600s*
Marston Road
Bottom of Cuckoo Lane,
Headington

1729*
Headington Hill
On Headington Hill,
just above the bridge

1786*
Boundary stone on Thames towpath

Thames towpath,
near Long Bridges

1832
78 Banbury Road

Set in garden wall of
78 Banbury Road

1837
Boundary stone near John Garne Way footpath
Cuckoo Lane, half-way down the hill

1841
Stone in Marston Meadows

Marston Meadows,
on private land

1843
King's Mill House

King’s Mill House,
Marston

1858
St Clement's
St Clement’s
Street

1886
Marston Meadows

Marston Meadows,
near Rainbow Bridge

1886

Port Meadow:
NW of Burgess Field

1886
Boundary stone at Wolvercote

Near Godstow car
park, Port Meadow

1892
Boundary stone on London Road opposite Headley Way

Opposite Headley Way,
Headington

1892
Boundary stone near Woodlands Road

Near Woodlands Road,
Headington

1892 (probably)
Barracks Lane, Cowley

Barracks Lane,
Cowley

1892 (probably)
Boundary stone in Woodstock Road

Woodstock Road, near St Edward’s School

1892 (probably)
In a driveway in Godstow
On path of private house
next to Godstow car park

1892
Near The Trout, Godstow
Godstow Road Bridge,
near the Trout

1901
Barracks Lane

On a track to south
of Barracks Lane

1901
Boundary stone at junction of Cuckoo Lane and Pullens Lane

Pullens Lane: junction
with Cuckoo Lane

1901
Opposite Victoria Arms
Opposite Victoria Arms
in fields to north of Oxford

Date uncertain
Northern bypass
Northern Bypass
beside cycle track

1991
Thornhill Park & Ride

Near Thornhill
Park & Ride

 

Hundred Stones*

Oxford also has two Hundred Stones (right). They both mark the northern boundary of the Northgate Hundred.

The Bullingdon Hundred (under Headington) began
to the north of the stones.

These were ancient stones (date uncertain), but the one in Parks Road has been replaced. Nonetheless both are Grade II listed structures.

Parks Road Hundred stone
Hundred stone on west
side of Parks Road

St Giles' hundred stone
Hundred stone outside
42 St Giles's Street

The Mayor of Oxford used to ride the franchise inspecting the boundary stones at the end of his year of office.
This route got longer as boundaries changed in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Description of the 30 boundary stones marking the boundary of the city up until the changes of 1886

Two maps showing changes in Oxford boundaries (marked in red):

1832 – extending the parlliamentary boundary of Oxford to include St Clement’s & Headington Hill.

1868 – extending the parliamentary boundary of Oxford to include Summertown
and East Oxford & Headington (as far as the Boundary Brook)

The Boundary Brook

Extracts from Lord John Russell's Bill for the Division of Counties were published in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 20 February 1832, outlining the new Oxford city boundary thus :
OXFORD.—From the tree on the east of the city, called “Joe Pullen's Tree,” in a straight line to the boundary stone in the lane, called “Mrs. Knapp's Free Board; thence along the said lane to the western extremity thereof; thence in a straight line to the centre of the island situate at the junction of the stream called “Aston's Eyatt” with the river Charwell; thence, westward, along the river Charwell, to the point at which the same joins the old city boundary; thence, westward, along the old city boundary to the point at which the river Charwell divides into two streams; thence along the eastermost of such two streams, to King's Mill; then in a strait line to the eastermost part of King's Mill; thence in a straight line to “Joe Pullen's Tree.”

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013