Originally St Barnabas's Church had a War Shrine with framed photographs of parishioners who were killed in the First World War (picture in Oxford Journal Illustrated, 15 January 1916, p. 6).
In 1919 the church replaced this shrine with a war memorial chapel with an altar and screen, dedicated to St George. It was described in the Oxford Journal Illustrated of 5 May 1920 as “one of the most beautiful of its kind yet erected in Oxford”, and is shown below. The inscription (right) that relates to the chapel reads:
A THANKOFFERING FOR THE BLESSINGS
OF FIFTY YEARS AND TO COMMEMORATE
THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WAR
THIS CHAPEL AND ALTER WERE BUILT
AND DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN HONOUR OF ST.GEORGE, A.D.1919
The plaque below listing the names of the First World War dead of St Barnabas parish was unveiled by the Bishop of Oxford on Sunday 25 April 1920. It is on the wall to the right of the entrance to the war memorial chapel. It depicts in relief the military saint, St George, in armour and holding a tall shield with a red cross. To his right are 61 names, in two columns reading alphabetically left to right:
REMEMBER / O LORD / THE BRAVE AND THE TRUE
J. W. FISHER.
J. W. HEMMINGS.
A. E. HEMMINGS.
A. W. KITCHEN.
J. F. R. KITCHEN.
A. W. MITCHELL.
M. A. MORRIS.
F. C. FISHER.
A. A. GRANT.
M. P. HEMMINGS.
A. J. B. HUDSON, M.A.
C. H. KITCHEN.
A. E. LAMBERT.
T. F. MITCHELL.
A. W. RAWLINGS.
H. C. SIMMS.
H. S. SHEPPARD.
R. J. STOKES.
T. H. STOKES.
C. J. COKER.
IN PROUD AND THANKFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS
* B. C. Rawlins-Inns is also on the St Paul's war memorial but listed as Bertie C. Rawlins.
Biographies of St Barnabas men on other websites
- Frederick Charles Burborough On the New Marston war memorial
- William John Drew On the St Sepulchre's Cemetery website
- Henry Olivier Sumner Gibson On the memorials of (1) St Andrew's Church, Headington and (2) St Margaret's Church
- Francis Edward Kearsey On the St Sepulchre's Cemetery website
- William Edward Parsons, 5th Earl of Rosse On the Christ Church war memorial
- Alexander John Rennie On the memorial of St Matthew's Church, Grandpont
- Alexander Lewis Symmons On the St Sepulchre's Cemetery website
The Oxford Journal Illustrated, 5 May 1920, p. 9 has photographs of (1) this stone tablet bearing the names of the fallen and (2) the screen and altar of the war memorial chapel.
St Barnabas's Church in Jericho has on its wall the First World War Memorials for two churches. The other one belonged to the former St Paul's district chapelry, and can be seen here.