The front of the memorial in St Peter's churchyard, Wolvercote faces east towards the side door of the church.
This memorial, which stands about 2.5 metres high, comprises a stone Celtic cross surmounting a tapering square column standing on a square stone pedestal. This in turn stands on a simple base.
The text on the front of the pedestal reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF WOLVERCOTE
WHO NOBLY GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR THEIR COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR
The names of 53 men of Wolvercote who were killed in the First World War are listed on the other three sides of the pedestal.
The dead of the Second World War have not been added, but these are remembered on an oak board inside the church.
The names are in alphabetical order until the third side.
The names below have been linked to pages on the Commonwealth War Graves Committee website. Some are named by the CWGC as living in Wolvercote, and many of the men are pictured in the Oxford Journal Illustrated with the name of their regiment, which has enabled the identification of others. Those which have not been verified have [?] after their names.
* Richard and Sidney Claridge are father and son.
** The farm labourer Absalom Loveridge and his wife Elizabeth who lived at 6 High Street, Lower Wolvercote had ten sons and five daughters. All ten sons served in the war, and three of them fell. See the “Patriotic Families” section of the Oxford Journal Illustrated on 1 March 1916 (p. 6) for photographs of the parents with Albert (Royal Fusiliers); Willilam, Edward, John, and Walter (Derby); and Thomas, James, Frederick, George, and Alfred (OBLI).
- Oxford Journal Illustrated, 29 October 1919, p. 1: Photograph of Wolvercote War Memorial
- A photograph of this war memorial taken by Henry Taunt in 1920 can be viewed in the Oxfordshire History Centre (ref. HT2607).
This memorial on the Database of the Imperial War Museums: Wolvercote
Not yet recorded on War Memorials online