Poppy logo

Oxford War Memorials: St Cross Church

St Cross Church War Memorial

This marble tablet, designed by James Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd, was unveiled on Sunday 22 June 1924 by Bishop Shaw. It is inside the former St Cross Church. (This church now houses Balliol College Archives but has not been deconsecrated and is technically a chapel of ease for the University Church of St Mary the Virgin in the High Street.)

The tablet lists the eight men of St Cross (Holywell) parish who were killed in the First World War. This memorial has already been covered here by Barry Burnham.

In the transcription below, CWGC = Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, WM = War Memorial,
and City Honour Roll = The book of remembrance in the City Church of St Michael-at-the-Northgate

JESU MERCY

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO FROM THIS PARISH GAVE THEIR
LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914–1918

Notes

A. S. ADAMS
(Arthur Sydney ADAMS)
St Cross Cottage, St Cross Road

CWGC / City Roll

Edward H. FREEMAN
(Edward Henry FREEMAN)
13A Holywell Street

CWGC / City Roll

R. J. FREEMAN
(Rowland John FREEMAN)
13A Holywell Street

CWGC / City Roll

E. V. GILES
(Edward Victor GILES)

CWGC / City Roll
Also on Oxford Boys' High School WM

T. W. HAYDON
(Thomas William HAYDON)

CWGC / City Roll

F. F. HUNT
(Frederick Frank HUNT)

CWGC / City Roll
Also on St John's College WM
and Oxford Boys' High School WM

H. E MILLER
(Henry Edward MILLER)
The Lodge, Holywell Cemetery

CWGC / Not on City Roll

Full BIOGRAPHY

 

This memorial on the Database of the Imperial War Museums: St Cross Parishioners – WW1
Not listed on War Memorials Online

Back to Oxford War Memorials

Please email if you can add anything to this information

© Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 10 May, 2018

War Memorials home    Oxford History home