Poppy Ronald Henry SAMPSON (1898–1918) Poppy

Ronald Sampson
From Lancing College
Roll of Honour

Ronald Henry Sampson was born in Oxford in 1898, the eldest son of Charles Henry Sampson (born in Bristol in 1859, registered fourth quarter) and Margaret Caroline Sophie Bolckow (born at Marston in Cleveland, Gloucestershire in 1869, registered third quarter), the daughter of C. F. H. Bolckow, JP, DL of Marton Hall, Yorkshire.

Ronald’s parents were married in the Middlesborough registration district in the third quarter of 1897 and had the following children:

  • Ronald Henry Sampson (born in Oxford on 19 June 1898 and baptised at St Margaret’s Church on 28 July 1898)
  • Raymond Oscar Sampson (born in Oxford on 13 June 1901 and baptised at St Margaret’s Church on 16 July 1901)
  • Christopher Bolckow Sampson (born in Oxford on 9 October 1903 and baptised
    at St Margaret’s Church on 17 November 1903)
  • Margaret Phoebe Sampson (born in Oxford on 5 June 1906 and baptised
    at St Margaret’s Church on 11 July 1906).

Baptism of Ronald Sampson, St Margaret's Church

Ronald’s father Charles Henry Sampson was Fellow and Tutor of Brasenose College from 1882. By the time of Ronald’s birth in 1898 he and his wife were living at 11 Rawlinson Road in St Margaret’s parish.

At the time of the 1901 census Ronald’s parents were boarding with Ronald (2) and their nurse and under-nurse with the family of William Clifford (36), a coal agent, at Ash Cottage, West Malvern, Worcestershire.

Ronald was educated at Fonthill School in Sussex and then at Lancing College, where he was in News House from September 1911 to September 1912 and in Fields House until December 1916. He was House Captain in 1915, a Prefect, was appointed Head of House in 1916 and was a Sergeant in the Officer Training Corps and a member of the choir. He achieved his School Certificate in 1913 and Higher Certificate in 1914, 1915 and 1916.

Ronald’s parents were away at the time of the 1911 census, and Ronald (12) and Raymond (9) were both away boarding at Lancing College. Only his youngest brother and sister were at home at 11 Rawlinson Road, looked after by a nurse, under-nurse, cook, and parlour-maid.

Ronald was accepted for matriculation at Oriel College and was intent on taking Holy Orders, but the war intervened and he decided to join the army instead.

 

Poppy In the First World War Ronald Henry Sampson entered the army as Private 197568 in the Royal Field Artillery but was sent for officer training at Trowbridge Cadet School for the Royal Garrison Artillery, following which he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on 10 December 1917. He landed in France on 13th of  January 1918, and was killed in action there at the age of 20 on 30 August 1918. He is buried in the Boyelles Communal Cemetery extension (II.G.3): his parents paid for the inscription BEATI MUNDO CORDE (“blessed the pure in heart”) to be added to his headstone.

His death notice in The Times of 6 September 1918 reads:

SAMPSON. Killed in action, on the 30th Aug., Ronald Henry Sampson, 2nd Lieut., R.G.A., dearly loved eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Sampson, 11, Rawlinson-road, Oxford, aged 20.

Ronald Sampson is remembered on the war memorial outside St Margaret’s Church in north Oxford, and on the roll of honour in Oriel College (right).

His obituary in the Oxford Chronicle of 5 September 1918 is shown below.

Obituary of Ronald Sampson


St Margaret's Church War Memorial

After the War

Ronald’s father
  • Charles Henry Sampson continued as a Fellow and Tutor of Brasenose College until 1920, and remained at 11 Rawlinson Road. In 1920 he was elected Principal of Brasenose, and from then until his death on 5 November 1936 he lived in the Principal’s Lodgings of Brasenose College in the High Street.
Ronald’s brothers
  • Raymond Oscar Sampson (born 1901) married Louisa M. Hines in the third quarter of 1922 in the Paddington registration district
  • Christopher Bolckow Sampson (born 1903) was an undergraduate at Brasenose College and became a Vicar. He married Nancy José Fenton Davies (daughter of the Manchester solicitor Myles F. Davies) in the third quarter of 1928 in the Bradford-on-Avon registration district, and they had two daughters. He was appointed Chaplain to HM the Queen in 1958. He died on 21 November 1967. See his entry in Who Was Who.

See also


Please email if you would like to add any material to this page

New book about the men on this war memorial now on sale: 47 Men of North Oxford

Back to St Margaret’s War Memorial home page