Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

22: Shoe Embassy


22 High Street

The group of five shops numbered 19–23 High Street dates from the late eighteenth century, and the upstairs rooms were converted to Brasenose College accommodation around 1930. They were in the parish of All Saints until that church was deconsecrated in 1971. They are now in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church.

No. 22, the shorter building with a dormer window shown above, towards the right of the group, is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1369359).

At the time of the 1841 census the hatter Thomas Randall was living here over his shop with his wife Elizabeth and their four-year-old daughter Eliza and ten-month old son Thomas junior, plus four servants and two lodgers. In 1851 they lived here with their son and one servant. By 1861 Randall's assistant John Molyneux was living over the shop with his wife and their servant.

In 1871 the hosier, hatter, and shirt-maker Thomas Mallam Prior was living upstairs with his wife, two children, and three servants.

In 1881 the Swedish tailor Isaac Olaf Winstedt was living over the shop with his wife, two sons, father-in-law, and a servant.

In 1901 Miss Madeline Bassett (46), described as a hairdresser & stationer, lived here with her unmarried sister Mary and their servant.

In 1911 the widow Florence Hill (55) lived in the seven room above this shop with her daughter and ran a lodging house there.

Occupiers of 22 High Street

1839–1864

Thomas Randall, Hatter & hosier

Messrs Randall & Nicholls, Archery Warehouse in 1851

1864–1875

Prior & Co., Hatters & tailors

Also Archery Warehouse

1876

Molyneux & Allnutt, Hosiers & shirt makers

1880–1887

J. Winstedt, Tailor, robe maker, hatter, hosier, & men’s mercer

1888–1907

J. Bassett, Hairdresser & stationer

(From 1905) Miss Bassett, University lodging house

1908

H. F. William Germer, Hairdresser

Miss Bassett, University lodging house

1909–1915

Colin Lunn, Cigar merchant

Mrs Florence Hill, then Miss Mullett, University lodging house

1921–1925

Rudkin & Wicks, Hairdressers

1926

The Dark Blue Toilet Saloon, Ladies’ & gentlemen’s hairdressers & chiropodists

1928–1929

Mrs Katherine A. Higgs, Hairdresser

1930–1952

Angelo D. Del Nevo, Ladies’ hairdresser

1954–1960

Oxford Stationery Co. Ltd. (1954–1956)
R. C. Phillips, Stationer (1958–1960)

1962–1995

Leicester Permanent Building Society (Leicester Building Society from 1984)
Alliance & Leicester from 1985

1998

Vacant

1999–2003

Melson Wingate, Optician

2003–2015

Scrivens Opticians (incorporating Melson Wingate)

2016–

Shoe Embassy

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 29 June, 2021

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home