Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

137: Sir Hairdresser


137 High Street

No. 137 is a timber-framed building and may look medieval, but it was rebuilt in this style in 1884. It was in the parish of All Saints until that church was deconsecrated in 1971. It is now in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church.

This building became a public house, known as the Fox Inn, in 1764. The Survey of Oxford shows that in 1772 the occupant of the former building, which had a frontage of 4 yds 2 ft 11 in, was Mrs Freeman.

At the time of the 1841 census, John Jelfs, the landlord, was living here at the Fox Inn with his wife Elizabeth and their servant girl, and the situation was the same in 1851. He died near the end of 1857 and at the time of the 1861 census his widow Elizabeth Jelfs was the publican; she was still here in 1871.

In 1881 the pub's last landlord, Henry Thomas Ham (who was a compositor as well as a publican). lived over the pub with his wife and two children. The Fox Inn closed in 1882.

The Oxford Chronicle of 11 October 1884 (p. 7e) reported that a new oak front, designed by H. J. Tollit and with the work carried out by J. Ward, had been fitted, and that the building had become the central brewery office of Messrs Hall & Co.

At the time of the 1901 census no one lived on the premises, but the enumerator noted that they were occupied by a brewery office and a house agent's office.

Bell shipping

 

 

 

Bell & Park (later Bell's Travel Service) was here
at 137 High Street from 1909 to 1934,
and one of their address labels
is shown on the left

Occupiers of 137 High Street
Darker background = former building on this site, now demolished

By 1839–1882

Fox Inn
John Jelfs (1839–1853), Mrs Jelfs (1861–1876), Noel Baddeley (1880), H. T. Ham (1881–1882)

1884–1906

Swan Brewery Office (A. W. Hall & Co.), Brewers & wine merchants

1907–1908

The Candy Store Co., Confectioners

1909–1934

Bell & Park (later W. W. Bell & Co. Ltd and then Bell’s Travel Service)
Shipping agents, money exchange & insurance brokers

1935

Oxford Official Information Bureau

1936–1993+

H. L. Savory & Co. Ltd., Tobacconists

By 1996–2019

Fellows (Oxford) Ltd, Gift shop

2019

Sir Hairdresser

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 5 June, 2021

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home