
3 Holywell Street dates from the early seventeenth century and was restored in 1972. It is owned by Merton College.
It is a Grade II Listed Building (1369392), with the following description:
RCHM 218. Early C17 2-storeyed ashlar restored 1972 with cellars and four gabled timber-framed dormers in a modern red tile roof. The stacks have cement- faced bases and brick shafts. The South elevation is of stone. The ground floor has two three-light stone mullioned windows on the East and on the West of the front door is a projecting splayed bay of three stone mullioned lights to the front and one on each return. To the West of this bay is a two-light stone mullioned window; all these windows have the remains of square labels. The bay is carried up to the first floor in which are also two three-light and two two-light stone mullioned windows and above is a hollow moulded string running the width of the house. The front door-frame is of stone with moulded stop-chamfered jambs and sunk spandrels in a 4-centred arch in a square head, over which is a good early C18 hood with a dentilled moulded cornice on carved and enriched wooden brackets. There is an ancient oak nail-studded door. In the four gables are C18 sash windows. On the North elevation at the back are early C18 and modern additions.
Interior; RCHM p. 182a. Includes C18 panelling, fireplaces and staircase and some early C17 panelling. The roof timbers are exposed.
This house appears to have had the same number (3) both before and after the renumbering of the street in 1836, as the roman numeral III is engraved in the centre of the lintel (although, rather oddly, III is engraved again to the right, and IV to the left:


3 Holywell Street at the beginning
of the twentieth century
On 6 May 1809 the following advertisement appeared in Jackson's Oxford Journal:
MRS. and MISS FIELD,
IMPRESSED with gratitude for the flattering encouragement they have experienced since their residence in Oxford, beg leave to announce to their Friends and the Public, that they have removed to a commodious House, No. 3, in Holywell, for the accommodation of YOUNG LADIES, as Boarders, after the Midsummer recess.
On 17 January 1824 Miss Radcliffe and Miss Gerard announced in Jackson's Oxford Journal that they had moved to a commodious house in Holywell, late in the occupation of the Revd T. Hinde, where they would reopen their school on the 29th.
This suggests a different house, but Miss Radcliffe evidently continued to live here, as on 19 May 1827 the Merton College lease for the following house (whose street frontage exactly matches that recorded for No. 3 in the Survey of Oxford) was advertised as follows:
A capital MESSUAGE or TENEMENT, with suitable out-offices, garden, and appurtenances, situate and being in Holywell-street, in the city of Oxford, now in the occupation of Miss Radcliffe, a yearly tenant; length of the front, 64ft 9in.
At the time of the 1841 census Miss Radcliffe's former business partner Mary Ann Gerard was definitely running a girls' boarding school here, and on 18 January 1845 Miss Gerard advertised her school as being at Holywell House.
On 23 January 1847 Miss Mary Ann Gerard advertised that the school was about to reopen, but two months later on 27 March she assigned all her estate and effects to the Revd John Radcliffe (the Chaplain of Merton College,who lived opposite) and William Bayne of Oxford, and on 3 April that year a sale of all her furniture and effects was advertised. (The Revd John Radcliffe died at No. 98 at the age of 70 on 21 February 1852)
By 1851 this was a private house occupied by Miss Esther Sophia Chambers, who remained here until her death on 11 December 1879.
It was known as “Four Gables” in the 1920s.
From 1947 to 1960 3 Holywell Street served as the vicarage of the University Church of St Mary the Virgin.
3 Holywell Street in the censuses
1841
The 1841 census for Holywell does not give house numbers, but it is possible to deduce where people listed that year lived by examining directory entries between 1839 and 1842 and later censuses
Mary Gerard (45), a schoolmistress, lived here with Fanny Webb (35) and Emma Bris (15), who were teachers. Ten girl pupils aged between 11 and 15 and three female servants also lived in the house.
1851
Esther Chambers (41), an unmarried fundholder, lived here with her nurse Mrs Mary Hounslow (54) and Mary’s husband Benjamin Hounslow (55), who was a plasterer.
1861
Elizabeth Smith (77), described both as housekeeper and head of the household, lived here with her unmarried friend Esther Chambers (51), who is described as a gentlewoman, and one servant.
1871
Miss Esther Chambers (61), who had an income from dividends, lived here on her own with a housekeeper.
1881
Annette Perpert (38), an unmarried governess, was the head of the household here. She had one servant, a housemaid who was born in Hamburg.
1891
The householder (probably John Marriott) was away from home, and only the servants (a cook, kitchenmaid, and butler) were home on census night.
1901
John Marriott (41), a married college lecturer, was alone here on census night with his servants (a cook and a housemaid).
1911
Dr Ernest Mallam (41), a physician, lived here with his wife Maud (39) and his daughter Joan (5). They had three servants.
1921
The physician Dr Ernest Mallam (51) was still here with his wife and their son Christopher (20), who was an undergraduate, and their three servants.
1939 Register
Ernest Mallam, still described as a doctor of medicine, was listed here with his wife Maude and their son Christopher, plus their cook, parlourmaid, and housemaid.
Occupants of 3 Holywell Street listed in directories etc. |
||
1758 |
Mr Trollep |
|
1772 |
Mrs Isham |
|
By 1809 |
Mrs & Miss Field |
|
To 1824 |
Revd T. Hinde |
|
Probably from 1824 |
Mary Ann Gerard |
|
1851–1879 |
Miss Esther Sophia Chambers (daughter of R.N. Commander David Chambers) |
|
1881 |
Miss Annette Perpert, Governess |
|
1884–1889 |
Revd Hereford B. George, M.A. |
|
1894–1901 |
John Arthur Ransome Marriott, M.A., |
|
1905–1945 |
Ernest Mallam, Physician |
|
1947 |
Revd Theodore Richard Milford, M.A. |
|
1949–1960 |
Revd Roy Stuart Lee, M.A., B.Litt., D.Phil. with Assistant curates: |
|
1962–-1970 |
Mrs S. J. James |
|
1972–1973 |
Geoffrey T. Bath |
|
1976 |
No listing |
|
Today |
Merton College annexe |
|

