OLD OXFORDSHIRE POSTCARDS

Previous
Next

Cumnor (formerly in Berkshire)


Bear & Ragged Staff

The name of pub comes from the bear and ragged staff that formed the crest of the Earls of Warwick and is now the symbol of the county of Warwickshire itself. The building was probably a farmhouse in Tudor times.

John Busby was probably the landlord of this pub at the time this photograph was taken in the early 1900s. He came here as landlord by 1881 and was still here in 1900; but by 1908 Mrs Busby was managing the pub on her own.

The 1881 census shows John and Susan Busby, both born in Appleton and aged 43 and 41 respectively, running this pub (described simply as the “Bear Inn”) with the help of their 19-year-old daughter Annie, who had been born in Fyfield. Her four younger siblings were all born in Cumnor from 1869 onwards, suggesting that the Busby family may have taken over this pub in about that year.

 

See the Cumnor website for a history of the parish

Back to “Old Oxfordshire” home

© Stephanie Jenkins: Contact

Back to “Oxfordshire history” home