BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 14: East

14 Broad Street in 2017

 

No. 14 probably dates from the mid-eighteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047345) and is owned by Oxford City Council.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 14 was then in the occupation of a Mr Parker, and its frontage measured 5 yards 0 feet 6 inches.

At the time of the 1841 census, No. 14 was occupied by John Harwood. He was still there in 1851, when at the age of 77 he is described as a bootmaker employing two men. His unmarried daughter Elizabeth lived with him, and they had one servant.

By 1861 his son John Harwood junior had taken over the business, and he is described as an employer of 15 men and one woman; by 1881 he had been joined in the business by his own two sons.

Harwood Court behind this shop was presumably named after this family.

 

 

The advertisement below, in Alden’s Oxford Guide for 1906, shows Herman’s Stores here at No. 14. Note how the shop front has changed: the door used to be on the right.

Alden advert

W. Herman, 14 Broad Street

Occupants of 14 Broad Street listed in directories

1839, 1842

Boxall & Harwood
Boot & Shoe Makers

1852–1889

John Harwood & Son
Bootmakers

1890–1914

William Herman
Cabinet maker, upholsterer, & undertaker (F. Herman in 1913/14)

1915–1947

Alden & Co. Ltd, Stationers & Picture frame makers

1949–1956

Art & Stationery Co. Ltd.
Stationery, fountain pens, picture frame makers & artists’ materials

1958–c.1978

Hunts (Oxford) Ltd.
Office Equipment 1958–1969
Typewriting Bureau 1972–1975
Typewriter dealers (from 1975)

c.1978–2006

Brush & Compass (also Hunts), Artist’s materials

2007–2008

Beautiful Strands Hair Salon

2008–2012

Western Computer

2013–2016

Aidan Meller Fine Paintings

2017–

East

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home