BROAD STREET, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 13: Castell & Son

13 Broad Street

 

No. 13 Broad Street dates from the late eighteenth century. It is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1185319) and is owned by Oxford City Council.

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford it was occupied by Mrs Wootton, together with the side passage, and its frontage measured as 6yd 2ft 6in.

Boxall’s Court / Yard / Passage used to run down the side of this shop, leading to six houses squeezed between Broad and Ship Streets: all of them were leased by Thomas Boxall in the 1840s and 1850s. From 1882 to 1902 it was known as Harwood’s Passage, but then reverted to its old name. The shoemakers at No. 14 next door were Boxall & Harwood. The passage was in use in the late 1990s, when the Boxall Buildings were occupied by Hunts Printers.

 

 

No. 13 has been occupied by the tailors Castell & Son since at least 1846, although they are now part of the Shepherd & Woodward group and the shop caters more for the tourist than the undergraduate.

The 1851 census shows George Castell living over No. 13 with his wife and four young children and one servant: he is described as a tailor employing two men and three boys.

By the time of the 1881 census his second son, John, had succeeded him and was living here with his wife. The business must have greatly expanded, as he is described as employing 15 men, three “lads” and one woman.

Occupants of 13 Broad Street listed in directories

1839

William Hitchings, Painter & Glazier

1846–2011

Castell & Son, Tailors & robe makers (see biography of George Castell's daughters)

2011–present

Varsity Shop (Castell's)

Oxford History Home

Stephanie Jenkins

Broad Street Home