Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

No. 63: Magdalen College house


63 High Street

This is the second in the terrace of eleven houses and shops belonging to Magdalen College that is attached to the back of Magdalen Gate house. This terrace was rebuilt subsequent to the widening of Magdalen Bridge that took place in 1772–8.

It is Grade II listed (list entry 1047288). It was in St Peter-in-the East parish until that parish was united with St Cross parish in 1957.

The Survey of Oxford was taken in 1772 before this house was rebuilt, and according to Salter the house that was approximately on this site was then occupied by a Mr Grubb and had a frontage of 6 yds 0 ft 6 in.

At the time of the 1851 census the present No. 63 was occupied by Norman Spencer and his brother Edwin, who were both dentists, plus a servant, and two lodgers (an MA of Pembroke College and his wife).

In 1861 and 1871 another dentist, Henry Virgin, was here with his family and servants.

In 1881 R. Horsley, a musician, lived here with his wife, three young children, sister-in-law, and a domestic servant. He was still here in 1891 with his wife and his son Hubert (15), who was an architect's pupil, and Reginald (12), plus a servant.

In 1911 the widow Mrs Anne Oborne (82) occupied the twelve rooms in this house and her unmarried daughter Frances Oborne (43) ran a university lodging house here with the help of one servant.

People who have occupied 63 High Street

1846

Thomas Laing

1852

Norman Spencer
Surgeon dentist

1866–1876

H. J. Virgin
Surgeon dentist

1875–1905

Richard Horsley
Teacher of singing & University Lodgings

1906–1925+

University lodging house

1947

No listing: probably being converted into five flats

1948

Flat 1: William Inker
Flat 2: Colin Graham Hardie, M.A., Fellow & Tutor in Classics, Magdalen College
Flat 3: Irfon Roberts
Flat 4: Revd Patrick John Thompson, Fellow & Dean of Divinity, Magdalen College
Flat 5: Kenneth Tite, M.A., Fellow & Tutor in Politics, Magdalen College

1952–1974

The flats are occupied by numerous different tenants.
In 1968 the five flats become six, and are renumbered with letters

1975

63A: Jonathan Barnes
63B: Vacant
63C: Christopher J. Wells
63D: Colin G. Hardie, MA
63E: Emrys L. Jones, MA
63F: Edward P. Greene

Today

Magdalen College lodgings

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 16 April, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home