Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

133: Hay’s Accountancy Personnel


133 High Street

No. 133 was rebuilt in 1937. With a frontage of 6ft 6in, it is one of the narrowest buildings in Oxford.

There is little today on the ground floor, but the offices upstairs spread over to 134 next door.

The building is owned by Oxford City Council.

 

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 133 was then in the occupation of a Mrs Green, and its frontage measured 2 yards 2 feet 10 inches: two feet wider than it is today.

The tiny building on this site was a pub for many years. The Split Cow was here from 1731, and in 1810 was renamed the Vine (although it is marked on maps as The Grapes).

On 1 March 1834 the Tollit brothers started to run the “Oxford Age” coach between the Vine Hotel here at 133 High Street, Oxford and London. It is listed in an 1846 directory as still having a coach office.

 

The 1851 census shows George Baker, the landlord, living here with his wife and baby daughter and a young girl of 11 as their general servant.

In 1861 the inn was occupied by Joseph King and his wife; in 1871 by Charles Bruton, a widower with a young son; and in 1881 by Edward Elson, who lived here with his wife and daughter and a boarder.

The Oxford Chronicle of 11 October 1884 (p. 7e) reported that a new oak front, designed by H. J. Tollit and with the work carried out by J. Ward, was fitted to the Vine.

The Vine was bought by Halls in 1888, and closed in 1905.

Occupiers of 133 High Street
Darker background = former building now demolished

1810–1904

The Vine Inn

Richard Smith (1817)
William Stephens (1831)
Sarah Stephens (1839, 1841)
Thomas Hunt (1846)
George Baker (by 1851–1853+)
Joseph King (1861)
Charles Bruton (1866–1867)
William Bruton (1869–1871)
Mrs Murname (1875–1876)
Edward Elson (1880–1881)
William Dix (1884–1887)
H. J. Beechey (1889–1890)
Robert Gould (1890–1904)

1905–1907

Oxford Geographical Institute (William Stanford & Co. Ltd.)

1908–1915

Sherratt T. Scott, Auctioneer & estate agent & valuer

1916–1937

William R. Rose Ltd., Photographers (also at 134)

1937–1964

William R. Rose Ltd., Photographers (also at 134)

1967–1998

Automobile Association (with 134 next door by 1993)

Guardian Royal Exchange

1998–present

Hay’s Accountancy Personnel

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 8 May, 2014

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home