Oxford History: The High

Back
Forward

138: Paul Bakery


138 High Street

No. 138 was rebuilt for City of Oxford Motor Services Ltd in 1922, and the Oxford Journal Illustrated of 12 April that year published a photograph of their new offices. They remained in this building from 1922 to 1998. Below is an advertisement from the 1950s.

City of Oxford Motor services ad

It then became a ladies' fashion shop called Coast, and since 2014 it has been the Paul Bakery.

Former house on this site

The Survey of Oxford shows that in 1772 the old house on this site was occupied by a Mr Rawlins. It was in the parish of All Saints until that church was deconsecrated in 1971.

At the time of the 1851 census, the enumerator has recorded that a new house was being built on this site. As soon as it was ready, Henry Hatch moved his business into these new premises from six doors away at No. 132.

Hatch did not live over his premises, and in 1861 Miss Lucy Ann Miller, the manager of his shoe shop downstairs, lived here.

In 1871 Mrs Lucy Ann Cundell lived here with her sons William Hatch Cundell and Tom Miller Cundell, and her daughter Mary. A shopwoman lodged with her, and she had one servant.

In 1881 census, William Tipton, boot & shoe maker here, lived over his shop with his wife and daughter and one of the shop assistants.

No one lived over these premises in 1911.

Occupiers of 138 High Street
Darker background = former building now demolished

1839

Michael Underhill, Grocer

1846

Charles Chaundy, Hair cutter

1851–1867

Henry Hatch, Boot & shoe warehouse

1869–1872

James Cundell (Walter Cundell in 1872), Boot & shoe maker

1875–1892

William Tipton (briefly Tipton & Hatch), Boot & shoe warehouse

1893–1912

John Clemence & Co., Tailors

1913–1919

Hugh James Allen, Tailor

1922–1998

City of Oxford Motor Services Ltd, later Carfax Travel Bureau
(City of Oxford Motor Services, proprietors)

1998–2014

Coast, Ladies’ fashion

(Washington International Studies Council upstairs to c.2001)

2014–

Paul Bakery

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 13 April, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home