Oriel Street, with the 1910 Rhodes Building of Oriel College on the left and a shop built in 1714 on the right
Oriel Street leads southwards to Oriel Square, but the road is closed to through traffic
Oriel Street was known as Shidyerestreet in the thirteenth century, and by 1762 it had become St Mary Hall Lane (although the alternative name Oriel Lane was already being used in the mid-nineteenth century). Until 1838 it was also known as Skimmery Hall Lane.
The postcard below show Oriel Street from the south in about 1900.
The following businesses are listed under “St Mary Hall Lane” in Pigot’s Diectory for 1823/4:
- Booksellers & Stationers: Thomas COMBE
- Book Binders: William HAYES
- Boot & Shoemakers: John HOLMES
- Printsellers, Carvers, & Gilders, & Picture frame makers: John WILLIAMS
- Saddlers, &c.: John LODER
- Tailors & Drapers: Charles FELDON
- Trunk & Packing Case Makers: J. LODER