ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Brief History


c.1130 St Giles’ Church was founded in the fields to the north of the town of Oxford
1100s Settlement in part of St Giles’ Street
1294 Cows purchased outside the North Gate suggest that there may have been a cattle market in St Giles Street in the thirteenth century
1325 First record of the name St Giles’ Street
1437 St Bernard’s College founded on the site of St John’s College
1555 St Bernard’s College (now only an academic hall)
bought by Sir Thomas White and refounded as St John’s College
c.1600 Black Hall (now 21 St Giles’ Street) built
1624 First record of St Giles’ Parish Wake, the forerunner of the Fair
1650 First mention of the Eagle & Child
1669 A fire to the north of Black Hall (No. 21) burnt out 6–8 families
1672 St Giles was paved from St Mary Magdalen Church to St John’s College; continued towards St Giles Church in 1675
c.1695 Lamb & Flag alehouse opened
c.1700 41 St Giles’ Street built
1702 St Giles’ House (No. 16) was built for Thomas Rowney, MP for Oxford
1786 Drains or sewers were installed in St Giles
1823 Beaumont Street was cut through land belonging to St John’s College, providing access to Worcester College from the south end of St Giles Street
1841–3 Martyrs’ Memorial built
1844 Completion of Taylor Institution
1875 Oxford High School for Girls first opened at 16 St Giles’ Street (moving to 39 St Giles for two years in 1879, and then on to 21 Banbury Road)
1881 Development of North Quad of St John’s College (completed in 1900)
1895 Oxford’s first public conveniences opened in St Giles Street
1912–14 Pusey House and Chapel replaced five old houses at 57–61 St Giles Street
1921–9 Blackfriars replaced three old houses at 62–64 St Giles Street
1932 Northern extension of Taylorian replaced seven old houses at 68–74 St Giles Street
1968 Mathematical Institute replaced six old houses at 24–29 St Giles’ Street

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home

7 July, 2018