ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Inns and Public Houses


St Giles’ Street has only two pubs surviving today (the Lamb & Flag and Eagle & Child); but here are the pubs that were there in the nineteenth century:

East side:

  • Dolphin Inn at 2–4 St Giles: first recorded in 1661, it closed in the early nineteenth century and the building was demolished by St John’s College in 1881
  • Lamb & Flag at 12/13 St Giles: still survives as a pub
  • Windmill Inn at 24 St Giles: this ceased to be an inn in about 1861, and the building was demolished to make way for the southernmost part of the Mathematics Institute in 1968
  • Pheasant Inn at 30 St Giles: first recorded as an inn in 1792, it ceased to be a pub in 1956, but the building survives on the corner of Keble Road and is now an accountants office

West side

  • Eagle & Child at 48/49 St Giles: still survives as a pub
  • Hare & Hounds, 66 St Giles: first recorded as an inn in 1697, it ceased to be a pub in about 1850, and the building was demolished in 1867 and rebuilt the next year
  • Robin Hood at 78 St Giles: demolished in 1841to make way for the Ashmolean Museum

Other pubs that were very near St Giles’ Street but not actually in it include:

  • South end of Woodstock Road (first known as St Giles Road and then as St Giles Road West): on the west side were theWaggon & Horses (25) and the Horse & Jockey (69); and on the east side were the Coach & Horses (just to the north of St Giles Church) and the Royal Oak (42). The Star is simply listed as being in St Giles Road in 1839, which means it could not have been at Park Town as Derek Honey suggests
  • Magdalen Street: Woodstock Arms (3) and the Bell & Crown (17) and the Royal Vulcan in Friars Entry

Pigot’s 1830 directory lists a pub in St Giles called the Chequers, with the landlord William Jannaway. Mrs Jannaway has a beerhouse on the west side of St Giles in 1841, but it is unclear where it is.

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home