ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Horse cabs and horse bus in c.1910


St Giles in 1910

This postcard shows the south end of St Giles in about 1910, with a horse-tram just approaching the cabmen’s shleter. On the left are horse-cabs waiting for customers; and on the right is a woman about to uncover a barrel organ.

Before 1913, the only form of public transport within the city of Oxford was the horse-drawn tram. The people of Oxford dreamed of motor-buses, but the corporation considered these vehicles too dangerous and dirty, preferring the cleaner electric tram. The University, needless to say, wanted no change

William Morris (later Lord Nuffield) brought a dozen motor buses from London overnight in November 1913 and the Oxford Motor Omnibus Company was formed.

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home