Balliol College’s Warren Building
The large building in the centre of the photograph is Balliol College’s Warren Building (Staircase XXI), built in Yellow Guiting stone by E.P. (Sir Edward) Warren in 1906. It is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369624), and was the first Balliol building to have baths, which were in the basement.
The picture by Allen Shuffrey painted in c.1900 (left) shows the building that used to fill the gap between the Salvin Buildings and 1 St Giles (whose bay window can be seen at the left in the modern top photograph but is obscured by a bush in this painting).
A strip of land containing the house of Frederick Morrell had been purchased by Balliol in 1873, extending the northern boundary of the college by 40 feet, and this meant that in 1906 the Warren building could extend up to and adjoin 1 St Giles Street.