ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 32/33/33A: Royal Bank of Scotland


Royal Bank of Scotland

Nos. 32 (the pink house on the right) and 33 (the wider house on the left) date from about 1800, but were extensively rebuilt in the 1970s. They are each Grade II listed (List Entry Nos. 1369417 and 1068561).

No. 33 was occupied from 1831 to 1884 by the Bridgwater family, and beside it was a narrow passage widening out to Bridgwater’s Yard, which was occupied by three separate businesses.

The left-hand section of No. 33 is first described as 33A in 1861, when it was let out separately from the rest of the house.

No. 32 At the time of the 1841 census, No. 32 was occupied by the elderly maltster William Burrows and his two servants. In 1851 it was occupied by the baker & confectioner Charles Johnson, who lived over the shop with his wife and two young daughters, and a 14-year-old apprentice. In 1881 the building was occupied by another baker & confectioner, the widow Mrs Elizabeth Grace, and her daughter, her unmarried sister, two confectioner’s assistants, a young baker of 15, and their servant.

No. 33 At the time of the 1841 and 1851 censuses, No. 33 was occupied by William Bridgwater, described in the latter census as a furniture broker employing two men and two porters; Gardner’s 1852 Directory also describes him as a Bath chair owner. He lived in the house with his wife Ann, his three daughters, and son William. He gave up the business at Michaelmas 1857, and John Bridgwater (probably his older brother) took it over, and can be seen here at the time of the 1861 census with his wife Sarah and son John. By 1881 John junior was an upholsterer & cabinet maker here, with his wife, four sons, two daughters, and a servant.

No. 33A The 1861 census shows Thomas Newton, a dealer in china & glass, living at No. 33A with his wife and five young children.

Occupants of these houses listed in censuses and directories

Year

32 St Giles

33 St Giles

33A St Giles

1839

 

W.  E. Burrows
Maltster

William Bridgwater
Furniture broker / Bath-chair owner (to 1852)

John Bridgwater & Son
Appraisers, brokers &c., later Cabinet makers & upholsterers

Charles Taphouse
moved his music shop here for a year in 1857, following the fire at his Broad Street premises

1841–1846

 

Mrs Maria Vaughan
Baker

1851

 

Charles Johnston
Baker & Confectioner

1861–1864

 

George Grace
Baker & Confectioner
(Mrs Grace from 1872)

Thomas Newton
China & glass dealer

1889–1900

George Blake & Co.
Cabinet makers

Alfred Thomas Walker
China & glass warehouse
from 1887

1901–1907

Payne
Fruiterer

William F. Payne
(1901–1909)

Mrs W. F. Payne
(1910–1947)

G. E. Payne
(1949–1967)

1908–1913

Norman E. E. Minty
Confectioner

1914–1926

Miss E. B. Green
Pastry cook & confectioner

1927–1964

Dobson & Bing
(later F.G. Bing & Son)
Furnishers, cabinet makers, & upholsterers

1967

Jaeger House
Outfitters
(“Hipnotec”)

1968

Vacant

Vacant

1969–1976

Vacant

1977–1980s

Child & Co (William & Glyn’s Bank Ltd)

By 1993–
present

Royal Bank of Scotland

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home