ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 38 & 39: Part of St Hilda's College


St Hilda's annexe

Nos. 38 & 39 are now regarded to be one establishment (No. 38) and are jointly Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1369418).

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, the site of Nos. 38 & 39 together with that of No. 39a to the south was occupied by Coster’s yard and stable, with a frontage measuring 32 yards 2 feet 6 inches.

This large building was erected in St Giles' parish c.1830 as two private residences numbered 38 and 39, advertised as residences for persons of the first distinction. Each house was three storeys high, plus a basement. (The top storey and attic rooms were only added in 1910.) They have cast-iron balconies and railings, the latter with lotus finials.

The two dwellings belonged to Samuel Collingwood and were let out. At the time of the 1841 census, No. 38 on the right was occupied by the Revd Philip Bliss and his wife Sophia, plus their four servants, while No. 39 on the left was occupied by Letitia Pett and her four servants.


Sale of Nos. 38 & 39 in 1849

On 31 March 1849 a forthcoming sale by public competition of eight houses that had belonged to Samuel Collingwood was announced in Jackson’s Oxford Journal. Nos. 38 & 39 were in this group and were described thus:

Lot 3 [No. 39]—All that noble and spacious modern-built FREEHOLD RESIDENCE, adjoining Lot 2, replete with every appointment suitable for the abode of a family of the first distinction. It contains spacious entrance hall, noble staircase and landings; lofty and well-proportioned dining room, 24 feet by 18 feet; elegant drawing room, 23 feet by 18 feet, with three lofty windows opening on to a wide balcony, protected with handsome and massive balustrades; ante room, breakfast room; and four  excellent, large, and commodious bed rooms, with a dressing room to each; three secondary  bed rooms, two water closets, housekeeper’s room, store rooms, &c. &c. The domestic offices (in the basement) are approached by a flight of steps through a front area, which is inclosed with handsome palisades, and include two large kitchens, butler’s pantry, larder, and all convenient offices, together with very extensive and capital cellarage; also a garden, planted with the choicest flowers, shrubs, and walled fruit trees, the whole extending a depth from the street of nearly 200 feet. The stable yard has a carriage entrance from the street, and contains capital stalled stabling for six horses, with lofts over, three lock-up coach houses, saddle rooms, and man servants’ room. The whole is well supplied with excellent spring water, and forms, collectively, a most desirable property either for residence or investment.

Lot 4 [No. 38]— All that noble and spacious modern-built FREEHOLD RESIDENCE, of the same elevation and adjoining Lot 3; containing spacious entrance hall, noble staircase and landing; lofty and well proportioned dining room, 24 feet by 13 feet; elegant drawing room, 30  feet by 18 feet, with four lofty windows opening on to a balcony similar to Lot 3; breakfast room, fronting the garden; which, together with the sleeping apartments, water closets, and domestic offices, are in all respects similar to Lot 3.This lot is let to the Rev. Dr. Bliss for a term, of which three years were unexpired at Christmas last.


1849 to 1918
No. 38 (on the north side)

At the time of the 1851 census No.  38 was occupied by the Revd Richard Michell (46), the Public Orator of the University, his wife Amelia, and their six children, plus five servants (two nurses, a cook, a housemaid, and a footman. The situation was the same in 1861. When Michell was appointed Principal of Magdalen Hall in 1868, the family moved out of this house.

Miss Frances Macbride was the only child of Professor John David Macbride, who had been the former Principal of St Mary Hall until his death on 24 January 1868. She had moved here by 1869, and the 1871 census shows her here at the age of 64 with her companion plus their housekeeper, housemaid, parlourmaid, and kitchenmaid. Miss Macbride died here at the age of 72 on 3 July 1878, and a forthcoming auction of her superior household furniture was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal on 21 September.

The house was advertised to let on 24 August 1878, and In October that year Oxford High School, which had been at 16 St Giles' Street, negotiated a two-year lease on the building until it could move into its new premises at 21 Banbury Road in early 1881.

The house was advertised as a large family residence with early possession on 25 December 1880, and the 1881 census shows Charlotte Bouverie Cotton, née Pusey, the widow of the Revd Richard Lynch Cotton, former Provost of Worcester College, living here with her unmarried daughter Amelia Lucy Cotton and five servants. Mrs Cotton died at the age of 76 on 2 August 1883, and just two days later the forthcoming auction of her furniture was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal.

In September 1883 the house was advertised as being to let, unfurnished.

The Revd Samuel Joseph Hulme (the Rector of Carfax Church from 1863 to 1872 and then of Bourton-on-the-Water from 1872 to 1884) lived here from 1884 until his death at the age of 62 on 12 December 1886.

in 1889 No. 38 was oddly listed in Kelly's Directory as the Oxford Eye Hospital..

On 25 October 1890 Jackson's Oxford Journal advertised that St Ursula's Convent School was here at 38 St Giles and was ready to receive boarders and day scholars for classes in French, German, Music, Paintin, and other accomplishments. At the time of the 1891 census Marguerite de Léobardy, the Lady Superior, was living here with her father and seven female boarders aged between 11 and 19. Nine members of the teaching staff lived on the premises: teachers of French (2), Arithmetic (2), Music, Painting, Drawing, English, and German. There were also six servants (a housekeeper,cook, laundress, two housemaids, and a kitchen maid). In 1901 Marguerite de Leobardy lived here with various teachers and students.

In 1918 the school expanded to include No. 39 next door.

No. 39 (on the south side)

The 1841 census lists Miss Letitia Pett ( 70) living here with four servants. She died in 1847.

At the time of the 1851 census No. 39 was occupied by Maria Brown (a widowed fundholder) and her two sons (both students at Worcester College), plus their two servants.

By 1857 No. 39 was occupied by the Revd Richard Greswell (former Fellow & Tutor of Worcester College). The 1861 census shows him living here with his wife Johanna, and their daughters Joanna (23) and Helen (20), plus their four servants. Greswell was still in the house at the time of the 1881 census, aged 80, with his two daughters: their servants then comprised a butler, under-butler, nurse, cook, and two housemaids. Mrs Greswell died at the age of 72 on 31 January 1875, and Richard Greswell at the age of 81 on 22 July 1881. At the time of the 1891 census just their daughters Joanna Julia Greswell (53) and Helen Margaret Greswell (50), lived here with three servants. They remained here until 1894.

By 1898 Charles Oman had moved into this house, but at the 1901 census only his wife Mary was at home with their two young daughters and their six servants. The Omans remained here until 1908, when Madame de Leobardy of the convent next door moved in.


Since 1908: Institutional use, with the two houses combined

From 1908 to 1922 St Ursula's Convent had both these premises. The 1911 census shows the head Marie Pia Boyer (44) and the head teacher Maud Lingard (38) living at No. 38 with members of the domestic staff and three more teachers and twelve girls aged between 10 and 18, plus three 20-year-old students. The Revd Mother Marie Josephine Marguerite de Leobardy, described as a teacher, lived at No. 39 with six other teachers, the bursar, the wardrobe keeper, and a housemaid.

The 1921 census describes Marguerite de Leobardy (76) as the Principal of St Ursula's Convent. She lived here with the Vice-Principal and nine teachers, plus ten women engaged in home duties, 22 boarders, and two servants.

In 1922 Nos. 38 & 39 were taken over by St Benet's Hall, which remained here for a hundred years until October 2022. At the time of the 1939 Register the building was occupied by Philip Justin Carr, the Master of St Benet's Hall, and four servants.

After the closure of that hall, the premises were purchased by St Hilda's College.

Occupants of 38 & 39 St Giles' Street listed in censuses and directories

Date

38 St Giles

39 St Giles

1841–1848

Philip Bliss, D.C.L.

Mrs Letitia Pett (died 1847)

1851 & 1852

Rev. Richard Michell
Vice-Principal of Magdalen Hall

Mrs Maria Brown

1861–1867

Revd Richard Greswell (1857–1881)

Miss/Misses Greswell (1882–1894)

1869–1878

Miss Frances Macbride

1879–1881

Oxford High School

1881–1882

Mrs Charlotte Cotton

1884–1887

Rev. Samuel Joseph Hulme

1889

Oxford Eye Hospital

1890–1894

St Ursula’s Convent
(Madame de Leobardy)

1895

J. Barclay-Thompson
Dr Lee's Reader in Anatomy
Christ Church

1898–1908

Charles William Chadwick Oman, M.A.
Fellow of All Souls College
Chichele Professor
of Modern History

1908–1922

St Ursula’s Convent (Catholic)
High Class Boarding and Day School

1922–2022

St Benet’s Hall (now numbered just 38)

2022

St Hilda's College annexe

St Giles’ home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home