ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 57–59: Pusey House Chapel


Pusey House chapel

Pusey House was founded in 1884 at 60 & 61 St Giles to the immediate south of this chapel.

The three houses Nos. 57–59 to the north were acquired later and demolished in 1911 to make way for Pusey House Chapel of the Resurrection, erected between 1912 and 1914 on the corner of Alfred Street (renamed Pusey Street in 1926).

The chapel, which was designed in the late Gothic style by Temple Moore, was dedicated on 10 October 1914. It is Grade II listed along with the rest of Pusey House (List Entry No. 1047109).

Goodhart-Rendel wrote of it, “I do not think there is in Oxford any better specimen of Gothic design, old or new.”

Review of a service at this chapel

There is a large section used mainly for Sunday worship divided from a smaller chapel at the east end by a solid stone screen. The east window shown here was added by Sir Ninian Comper in 1935–6.

The boundary between St Giles parish and St Mary Magdalen parish runs between Nos. 57 and 58, so this chapel stands partially in each parish.


Previous occupants of No. 57 to the north (St Giles' parish)

On the southern corner of Pusey Street (formerly known as Alfred Street)

George Read, the butler at Balliol College, was living here in 1841 according to directories, and in the 1841 census his house was listed immediately before George Davenport's house at 60 St Giles' and it seems likely that it was here at No. 57, but if so it was wrongly allocated to the census of St Mary Magdalen parish. He was living with his wife Jane and their two children, plus a student lodger and one servant. In 1851 Read was definitely at No. 57 with his family, now with two student lodgers. In 1861, however, his address was given as Alfred Street (Pusey Street), and his son George Read junior (21) was described as an architect.

George Read died in 1862, and on 25 April 1863 the forthcoming auction of these premises was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal:

A valuable RESIDENCE with large Garden, St. Giles's-street, Oxford. The House and Premises, No. 57 St. Giles's-street, late the residence of Mr. George Read, deceased, has a good frontage to St. Giles's-street, and extends in depth, with a frontage to Alfred-street, of nearly 300 feet. The House contains three principal sitting rooms, eleven bed rooms, kitchen, scullery, fuel house and knife-house, beer, wine, and coal cellars. Attached is a very exensive garden, surrounded by walls, and planted with very choice fruit trees, now in perfection of bearing, and a summer-house near the western end. The situation and extent render it highly desirable for a privae residence, and apartments have always been let at good rents. The desirability of the Property for conversion into shop premises can scarcely be over estimated. The improvement of all the other shops in St. Giles's, and the rapidly increasing trade in this quarter, with the great difficulty of getting shops, renders this a very rare oppotunity; the large frontage down Alfred-street ffering great accommodation for building warehouses, or houses for private occupation.

On 15 August 1863 a forthcoming auction of Read's furniture and effects was advertised.

St Giles Restaurant run by the cook W. Lewin was here from 1868 to 1869, and he advertised that he served hot joints daily from 12 noon to 2pm at 1s. 6d., and served the best quality wine.

At the time of the 1871 census only the cook and housekeeper at home. Similarly in 1881 only three servants at home (two assistants in the stationery business and a housekeeper).

The 1891 census shows the photographer William Forshaw at home here without his wife and in the company of his apprentice, a boarder, and their domestic servant. In 1901 he was here with his wife Emily and their daughter Jessie (24) who worked as his photographer's assistant.

In 1911 the college buttery man George Frederick Norburn (48) lived here with his wife Selina and their three daughters, plus a boarder.

In about 1913 this house was demolished along with Nos. 58 & 59 to the south to make way for Pusey House Chapel.


Previous occupants of Nos  58 & 59 to the south (St Mary Magdalen parish)

No. 58 to 1875

Mrs Ann Hill, widow of William Hill, lived here from 1846 to her death at the age of 88 on 14 February 1858.

At the time of the 1851 census Eliza Gardner, a 45-year-old widow who worked as a needlewoman, lived here with her two children and her lodger.

In 1861 the confectioner Robert Ecclestone (54) lived here with his wife Susannah and their two daughters.

In 1871 the dressmakers Rachel Bleay (a widow of 49) and her sister Miss Jane Meadows (37) lived here with their young nephew Ernest Hill (3) and their servant.

No. 59 to 1875

The wine merchants Morton & Co were here by 1841. On 4 March 1848 a forthcomng auction of the stock in trade as well as the household furniture of Mr Morton, described as a hop merchant, was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal.

At the time of the 1851 census the college servant George Farrant (38) lived here with his wife Sarah and their three children, as well as his wife's widowed mother Elizabeth Matthews and his niece Emma Tidmarsh.

Mr Drewitt then lived here, and a sale of his furniture and effects was advertised in Jackson's Oxford Journal of 13 March 1858 because he was leaving England.

In 1861 the widowed fundholder Hannah Billing (60) lived here with her daughter and her niece, plus a boarder.

In 1871 the college servant William Slay lived here with his wife Eliza and their four young children, plus his widowed mother-in-law Eliza Chaundy.

Nos. 58 & 59 combined after 1875

By 1875, directories show that these two houses were jointly occupied as a lodging house, then run by Mrs Patchett (probably in fact probably Miss Patchett) .

The 1881 census shows Miss Sarah Amm Patchett (46) as the lodging-house keeper here, aided by one servant. In 1891 her niece Miss Annie Marston (35) had come to live with her, but otherwise the situation was the same. Mss Patchett died here at the age of 65 on 19 January 1900.

The 1901 and 1911 censuses show Miss Katherine Mullett (23) and her stepsister Louisa Denton (28) as the lodging-house keepers here.

In about 1913 these two houses were demolished along with No. 57 to the north to make way for Pusey House Chapel.

Occupants of 57, 58, & 59 St Giles' Street listed in censuses and directories
(grey background = earlier building)

Date

St Giles' parish

St Mary Magdalen parish

57 St Giles' Street

58 St Giles' Street

59 St Giles' Street

1841–1848

George Read
Butler at Balliol College
(died 1862)

Mrs A. Hill
Gentry

Morton & Co
Wine merchants

To 1858

George Farrant
then
Mr Drewitt

1861

Robert Ecclestone

Mrs Billing
Lodging house

1866

Charles Abbott Booty
Photographer (bankrupt in 1867)
Oxford School of Photography

Henry Hatch
Mourning establishment

 

St Giles Restaurant
(W. Lewin)

here in 1868–9

Miss Last
Milliner here in 1869

Henry Hill

1869

Mrs Blay
Milliner

William Wood
College servant

1871

H. Grimmett

1872

William Slay

1875

J. Howson

1876

Miss Sarah Ann Patchett
University Lodgings

1880–1884

H. Hatch
Japanese warehouse

1885–1900

William Forshaw*
Artist & photographer,
stationer &c

1901–1905

Miss Katherine Mullett

Chapel of the Resurrection

1906–1911

Ernest Charles Hall
Photographer

1914–present

Pusey House Chapel

* Formerly the operator at Hills & Saunders at 16 Cornmarket. When Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll)'s developer failed on 18 October 1876, Forshaw went over to Christ Church with his developer and saved the day.

St Giles’ home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home