Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Former St Edward’s School


St Edward's new plaque

[Shield of St Edward’s School with
“Pietas Parentum” motto]

 

SAINT EDWARD’S SCHOOL
WAS FOUNDED IN 1863 BY
THE REV. THOMAS CHAMBERLAIN
STUDENT OF CHRIST CHURCH
VICAR OF ST. THOMAS THE MARTYR
IN
MACKWORTH HALL
THEN STANDING ON THIS SITE
THE SCHOOL WAS MOVED TO
SUMMERTOWN IN 1873 by
THE REV. A. B. SIMEON
FIRST WARDEN

This plaque in New Inn Hall Street marks the site both of Mackworth Hall and of the first home of St Edward’s School.

St Edward’s School was founded here in 1863 by the Tractarian Thomas Chamberlain, Vicar of St Thomas the Martyr. It moved to its present site on the Woodstock Road in 1873.

St Edward's School plaque

 

The original plaque (right) was stolen in 2011. The new plaque was unveiled on 21 April 2013, when the school chaplain held a blessing in New Inn Hall Street.

Oxford Mail, 23 April 2013:
School's 150th birthday marked with special blessing

 

 

Wikipedia:
St Edward’s School, Oxford

 

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013