Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Old St Clement’s Churchyard


Stone marking site of St Clement's churchyard

 

 

SITE
of
ST CLEMENT’S
CHURCHYARD

 

This stone marking the original site of St Clement’s churchyard is on The Plain roundabout. The church moved to its present site in Marston Road in 1826, and the last traces of the old churchyard disappeared when the roundabout was constructed in 1950.

 

English Heritage picture
of the original church

 

 

 

Below:

(1) Postcard published in c.1905 and made from a painting in the possion of Harry Paintin shows the old St Clement's Church with the toll house in front

(2) St Clement’s churchyard with Magdalen Tower in the background before the construction of the Plain roundabout)

St Clement's toll gates

St Clement's Churchyard

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013