Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: Clock


Inscription about clock on Plain roundabout

IN HONOREM VICTORIÆ D. G. BRITT. REG.
A.D. MDCCCXCVII DUODECIM IAM LUSTRA COMPLENTIS
PONTEM ISTUM CUM HOROLOGIO PARANDUM
CUM UXORE G. HERBERTUS MORRELL SENATOR

[G. Herbert Morrell M.P., together with his wife, arranged for
this bridge to be provided with a clock in honour of Victoria,
by the Grace of God Queen of the Britains,
who now in 1897 has completed twelve lustra]

The above inscription, although referring to the clock on the Plain roundabout, is situated just under the drinking fountain.

A lustrum is a five-year period, so “twelve lustra” means 60 years. Herbert Morrell was the wealthy brewer who lived at Headington Hill Hall in St Clement’s parish,

The fountain and clock were not actually officially opened until 1899, two years after the Jubilee.


Close-up of clock face

 

LYMPHA CADIT
RUIT HORA
SAGAX BIBE

CARPE FUGACEM

 

[The water falls
The hour goes by
Be wise and drink,
Seize the swift-flying time]

This inscription under the clock, with one word on each facet of the octagonal roof, refers both to the clock and the fountain below.

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013