Back
Next

Inscriptions: Mrs Morrell's picnic by the fountain


Lady Morrell

LADY MORRELL LAID OUT A PICNIC FOR US BY THE FOUNTAIN
(The inscription is hard to pick out in the photograph above, and is more legible in the details shown below)


These words are Inscribed near the top of the wall facing 12 London Place in St Clement's. It was part of the Walk Space project by David Little, who in 2002 created a Healthy Walking initiative between St Clement's and Angel Meadow. This is one of the series of quotations (taken from conversations with senior citizens about their experiences of walking in the city and memories of particular places) which were set into brickwork along the route, many hand-carved by stone carver Simon Keely.

Emily Alicia Morrell (1854–1938) inherited Headington Hill Hall and Morrell's Brewery when she was orphaned at the age of ten and married her cousin George Herbert Morrell (1845–1906) at the age of eighteen, thus retaining her surname. She often provided treats for the children of Oxford, and especially for those in St Clement's, the parish in which Headington Hill Hall lies. (She was in fact plain Mrs Morrell, not Lady Morrell.)

The Victoria Fountain on the Plain was given to the city by the Morrells and was inaugurated on 25 May 1899 by HRH Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter, to celebrate her mother's 80th birthday, two years after her Diamond Jubilee. The Princess and the Marquis of Lorne were the guests of the Morrells at Headington Hill Hall that day. As the child who took part in the picnic was still alive in 2002, it must have taken place years after the fountain was erected.

Lady Morrell LADY MORRELL

laid out a LAID OUT A

picnic for us PICNIC FOR US

by the fountain BY THE FOUNTAIN

Stephanie Jenkins