Back
Next

Oxford Inscriptions: St Clement’s Infant School


Inscription re St Clement's Infant School

 

JUNE 19th
1873

+

SITE OF THE
ST. CLEMENTS
INFANTS SCHOOL
1873–1974

 

This inscription is on the side of 18 Bath Street in St Clement’s.

St Clement’s got its first proper school in 1839, when the former Baptist Chapel in Cave Street (then called George Street) was bought by the rector and churchwardens of St Clement’s Church for £525 and converted into a free school with an endowment of £20 a year from Dawson’s charity. By 1872, however, the conditions in the girls’ section of the school were so bad that there was a threat to withdraw its government grant.

As a result, the managers were forced to provide new, separate accommodation for the infants in a new school in Bath Street in 1873.

Stephanie Jenkins