Back
Next

Oxford post boxes: Victorian pillar boxes


Park Town pillar box
Warnborough Road pillar box
George Street pillar box
Rawlinson Road pillar box
Covered Market pillar box
Pillar box outside 78 Banbury Road

Six Victorian pillar boxes in the city of Oxford. The first two are the oldest and are listed structures:

  • Park Town: Hexagonal Penfold pillar box in excellent condition, complete with finial and coat-of-arms, of design dating from 1866–1879. This box is first mentioned in Webster’s Oxford Directory 1869. Name of manufacturer (Cochrane, Grove & Co of Dudley) on black base. List entry Number: 1047180
  • Warnborough Road: Hexagonal Penfold pillar box (with finial and crest lost), of design dating from 1866–1879. Name of manufacturer (Cochrane, Grove & Co of Dudley) on black base. List entry Number: 1047298
  • George Street: Pillar box of design dating from 1889–1901 (large-capacity version). Name of manufacturer (Handyside & Co., Derby & London) on black base
  • Rawlinson Road: “Anonymous” pillar box (lacking the words “Post Office”, and with no royal cipher), of design dating from 1879–1889. This box is first listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1894. Name of manufacturer (Handyside & Co., Derby & London) on black base.
  • Covered Market: Pillar box of design dating from 1889–1901 (slimline version). Name of manufacturer (Handyside & Co., Derby & London) on black base
  • Outside Sunnyside, 78 Banbury Road: “Anonymous” pillar box (lacking the words “Post Office”, and with no royal cipher), of design dating from 1879–1889. This box is first listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1894, but was in fact installed by the Post Office nine years earlier in 1885 specifically for the benefit of Sir James Murray, who had just moved into this house, to cope with the huge correspondence generated from the “Scriptorium” in the garden where the Oxford English Dictionary was being put together

Victorian wall postboxes in Oxford

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013