Back
Next

Oxford post boxes: Victorian wall boxes


Wall box, St Margaret's Road Wall box, South Parks Road Merton Street east wallbox Merton Street west wall box
Holywell Street wall box  Banbury Road north wall box Crescent Road wall box Chalfont Road

Eight Victorian wall postboxes in Oxford, all inscribed “W.T. Allen & Co. London” (a firm that made post boxes from 1881):

  • St Margaret’s Road, North Oxford (on the south-west corner of its junction with Woodstock Road). First listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1889
  • South Parks Road (on the corner with Parks Road). First listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1889
  • Merton Street east (opp. south entrance to Examination Schools)
  • Merton Street west (on the corner with Oriel Square)
  • Holywell Street (at its junction with Longwall). Installed in 1878 on the wall to the east of 100 Holywell Street, and transferred to the Morris garage that was built on the site in January 1878. First listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1889
  • Banbury Road, North Oxford (to the south of Cunliffe Close)
  • Crescent Road, Cowley (bottom end, on the wall of corner shop)
  • Chalfont Road, North Oxford

Victorian pillar-boxes in Oxford

Stephanie Jenkins, 2013