Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

105: Jericho Coffee Traders


105 High Street

No. 105 dates from the seventeenth or eighteenth century.

It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047252).

At the time of the 1851 census Frederick Bessant, the bootmaker here, lived over the shop with his wife and two young children, a servant, and a student lodger. He was still here in 1861 and 1871.

The 1881 census shows Richard Chaundy (a hairdresser and newsagent) living over this shop with his wife Susannah, four of their children, and a domestic servant. Susannah later kept a university lodging house here, and was still living privately above the premises in 1901.

Sadler's shop in 1814

An Oriel College plan of 1814 (right) shows that C. J. Sadler at No. 104 next door then also had this shop at No. 105.

Going back to the Survey of Oxford of 1772, the two shops were then jointly occupied by Mrs Horseman.

Occupiers of 105 High Street

1839–1876

Frederick Bessant, Boot & shoemaker

1880–1905

Richard Chaundy, Hairdresser & newsagent (1880–1887)

Mrs Richard Chaundy
Hairdresser (1888); Stationer & Tobacconist (1889–1894); University lodging house (1895–1905)

1906–1927

Bartlett & Carter, Breeches makers and tailors

1928–1931

Thomas R. Foat, Tailor

1932–1934

Bartlett & Carter, Tailors

1935–1971

Achille Serre Ltd, Dyers

1973–1976+

Part of No. 104 next door: Sanders of Oxford Ltd

By 1993–2002

Chancellors Estate Agents

2003–2007

Glasshouse Fashion

2008–2009

Vacant

2010–2016

Meller Merceux (Aidan Mellor) Gallery

2016–present

Jericho Coffee Traders

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 24 November, 2016

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home