Oxford History: The High

Backwards
Forward

106: University of Oxford shop & 107: A-Plan Insurance


Tackley's Inn

No. 106 (left) and No.107 (right) originally formed Tackley’s Inn, an academic hall built in 1320. The pair of houses, which are owned by Oriel College, were refronted in the eighteenth or nineteenth century. They have a fine medieval vaulted cellar.

They are Grade II* listed (List Entry No. 1047253). They have always been in the parish of St Mary-the-Virgin.

Tackley’s Inn was built c.1320 by Roger le Mareschal, who had the living of Tackley. Adam de Brome acquired it from him in 1324 as a home for Oriel College, who still own the building. It is one of the very few surviving examples of a medieval academic hall. The building was divided into two as early as 1438, and the part to the east then became known as The Tavern.

In 1549 the whole hall and the shops in front were leased to Garbrand Harkes, a Dutch Protestant refugee, who sold books from the ground floor and wine from the vaulted cellar. It remained a bookshop until the end of the seventeenth century, and then became Puffett’s Coffee House.

These two shops have a fine medieval vaulted cellar, part of which is incorporated into the present office at No. 107, which also occupies the whole refectory hall.

Vaulted roofAncient vaulted roof of Tackley's Inn, now the basement of A-Plan Insurance

Roof of 107Newer roof of A-Plan Insurance on the ground floor, part of Buckley Hall

No. 106

The 1772 Survey of Oxford shows No. 106 in the occupation of a Mr Wood.

On 30 January 1836 Charles Foster junior announced that he had moved his drapery business from Waterloo House (which was opposite the Angel Inn in the High Street) to his “other shop” here at 106 High Street; but by 1839 he had moved to 124 High Street.


Wheeler photograph back

Wheeler's bookshop at No. 106

By 1839 James Luff Wheeler' ran a bookshop here at No. 106. At the time of the 1851 census James Wheeler lived over the shop with his six children and two general servants. His eldest son, William, was described as a bookseller’s assistant in 1851 and 1861.

By 1865 the firm's name was Wheeler & Day, and on 28 October 1865 they advertised in Jackson’s Oxford Journal that they had purchased Edward Bracher’s photographic business (formerly at 26 High Street) and had removed it to this shop, where they had erected “a large and commodious Photographic Gallery”. That advertisement incorporated a drawing of their new shop.

In 1871 the upstairs quarters were let out to Miss Sarah Bliss, a lodging house keeper.

From 1872 William Henry Wheeler worked here on his own as a bookseller & stationer as well as a photographer. At the time of the 1881 census he was living over his shop with his wife and three children, plus a governess and general servant. He remained here until 1918.

Billhead of bookseller William Henry Wheeler, showing the shop

Right: Back of a small card with a photograph
taken by Wheeler. He is using the University coat-or-arms,
showing an open book surrounded by three crowns.


 

Launchbury at No. 106

The Launchbury family occupied No. 106 from 1919 to 1962, running it first as the Oriel Restaurant (left), with hotel accommodation upstairs. Note that the house then had a single dormer window in a different position from the present two.

 

From the late 1940s the firm E. C. Launchbury & Son became a tobacconist and confectioner (shown below), and Mrs Launchbury ran a hotel upstairs.

Launchbury at 106


Boffins, 107 High Street

No. 107

This became known as Buckley or Bulkeley Hall, and in the seventeenth century was a tavern run by Garbrand Harks.

The 1772 Survey of Oxford shows that No. 107 had a frontage of 9 yards 0 ft 9 in., and was then occupied by a Mr Lewis.

At the time of the 1851 census, Nance[?] Slatter and his son John, partners in the tailoring business at No. 107, lived over the shop with four of John’s siblings and a general servant. Two families are listed between Nos. 106 and 107 as living in “Slatter’s Yard”, which must have been behind this shop.

At the time of the 1861 census No. 107 was occupied by Edward Wells, a “Haberdasher and Register for Servants” and his family.

Boffin's Confectioners (right) who had opened at 109 High Street in 1847 were here by 1866 and remained until 1906.

No. 107 was a tailor's shop from 1918 to 1962, with a café at 107A.

Occupiers of 106 & 107 High Street

Date

No. 106

No. 107

1836

Charles Foster
Draper

?

1839, 1842

James Luff Wheeler
Bookseller

Thomas Slatter
Tailor

1852

Henry Swallow Slatter
Silversmith & jeweller

N. Slatter & Co
Tailors & robe makers

Slatter & Swallow
Watch & clock makers

1861

?

1866–1871

Wheeler & Day
Booksellers, stationers, and photographers,
and Office of the Oxford Directory

then

William Henry Wheeler
Bookseller, stationer, & photographer

 

Boffin’s Confectioner / Restaurant

James Boffin (1866–1887)

Alfred Boffin (1888–1904)

Boffins's, bakers, cooks
    & confectioners (1906)

1872–1906

1907–1913

Norman E. E. Minty
Cook & confectioner

1914–1916

W. Moon & Son
Pastry cooks & confectioners

1916–1917

Bartlett & Carter
Breeches makers & tailors

1918

Joseph E. Bradbury, Tailor

later Bradbury & Venables
and then Bradbury, Venables, & Hookham Ltd

 

Listed at 107A
   Norman Taylor, Photographer (1918–1947)
   The Tackley Restaurant (1958–1962)
   Mrs B. Woodward, Café (1949)
   Thomas Robert Woodward), Café (1952–1954)
   Bianca Kirsch, Café (1956)

1919

Edward E. Turner
Photographer

106A: Achille Serre Ltd, Dyers (to 1932)

1923–1962

Launchbury

C. Launchbury Ltd, Restaurant (1923)

Oriel Restaurant (C. Launchbury Ltd) (1925)

   with Edward Turner photographer (1923 & 1925)
   and the Cherwell (Publishers) Offices in 1927
   and E. Rose (Oxford), tobacconists (1943)

Oriel Private Hotel (E. W. Launchbury Ltd) (1945)

E. C. Launchbury & Son
Tobacconists & Confectioners (1949–1962)
    with Mrs C. Launchbury, Boarding house (1947–1954)
    and Ewart Launchbury (1958–1960)
    and various tenants (1962)

1949–1954

1956

1958–1962

1964–1968

The Tackley Hotel & Restaurant

106A: William & Glyns Bank Ltd
(Royal Bank of Scotland from 1985)

No listing: From 1965 building being converted on all floors to a building society (65/13499/AD_H)

1970–1976+

Abbey National Building Society

1980–1988+

1991–1993

?

A-Plan Insurance

1994–1996

Apple
Computer shop

1996–present

The University of Oxford Shop

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 17 November, 2018

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home