Oxford History: The High

Back
END OF
TOUR

141–143: Edinburgh Woollen Mill


141-143 High Street

141-143 High Street in 1922

The present large building on the south-east corner of Carfax (above) was erected in the mid-1930s as city council offices, and although converted to a shop on the ground floor in the early 1980s, it is still owned by the council.

 

It replaced a large building comprising three small shops at Nos. 141–143 (left, viewed from the west in 1922).

At the time of the 1772 Survey of Oxford, the old shops here were occupied by Mr Cherry (141), Mr Douglass (142), and Mr Dewe (143).

No. 141: At the time of the 1851 census Edward Wells (described as a haberdasher) lived upstairs at No. 141 with his wife, two daughters, and a general servant. In 1861 this building was occupied by William Denyer, a saddler employing three men and two boys; in 1871 his widow Susannah was still here.

No. 142: In 1851 Elizabeth Bolton, a widowed confectioner (who presumably looked after the business for the Horns) lived upstairs with her two children, a general servant, and a lodger. In 1861 Edward Horn, a confectioner employing two boys, lived over the shop; he was still here in 1871 and 1881.

No. 143: In 1851 William Castle, the draper, lived over No. 143 with his sister, three draper’s assistants, and a housemaid. In 1861 another draper, George Fisher, lived here with his family and a draper’s assistant and a draper’s apprentice; in 1871 he was away, but his brother James Fisher, who was his assistant, was in the house. In 1881 William Williams, linen draper, lived here with his wife, two draper’s assistants, one draper’s apprentice, and a domestic servant: the name of one of these assistants was Frederic Wyatt, who is probably the Wyatt who later took over the business.

Picture of old Andrews shop at 141 from English Heritage site

Occupiers of 141, 142, & 143 High Street
Darker background = former building now demolished

Date

141 High Street

142 High Street

143 High Street
“Carfax House”

1839

Cruse Horn
Hairdresser

Richard Horn
Confectioner

Alexander Morison
Linen draper & mercer

1846

Fred Telfer
Chemist

John Norman Spencer
Surgeon dentist

Catherine Horn
Confectioner

Castle & Sweetman
Drapers (1846)

By 1851–1853+

Edward Wells
Berlin & fancy wool warehouse

Catherine Horn, Confectioner
(& at 15 Cornmarket St)
and
Louisa Reed
Milliner & dressmaker

William Castle
Linen draper & undertaker
(1852)

1861–1891

William Denyer
Saddler (1861–1875)

H. Andrews
Saddler & harness maker

Edward Horn
Pastry cook

George Fisher
Linen draper
(1861–1890)

Wyatt & Jackson
Drapers

1891–1932

Henry Andrews
(later H. & E. Andrews
Saddle & harness maker
(1891–1918)

Colin Lunn
Tobacconist
(1919–1921)

Shoes Limited
Boot maker (1922–1923)

Lennards Ltd
Boot maker (1925–1931)

Morrell’s (Trustees) Lion Brewery
&
University Typewriting Office
(to 1912)

Great Western Railway Co.
Enquiry & booking office (1913–1931)

Wyatt & Jackson
(later Wyatt& Sons)
Drapers

(moved into Nos. 141 & 142
for one year only in 1943, prior to demolition)

1935–1980

City Council offices

1980s

Chanelle

By 1993–present

Edinburgh Woollen Mill

©Stephanie Jenkins

Last updated: 10 May, 2014

The High home Small Shark Oxford History home