ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 35: RN & RM Army & RAF Careers


35 St Giles

 

Nos. 35 is the middle house of a block of three houses desiged and built by Daniel Evans in 1828/9.

The three houses at 34, 35, and 36 St Giles’ Street are jointly Grade II listed (List Reference No. 1047141).

In 1933 all three houses were sold by Exeter College to the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oxford. .

The block is nine bays wide and three storeys high, with attics and basements.

The Oxford builder Daniel Evans built this house and its two adjoining neighbours in 1829 on a large plot of land leased for 99 years from the Oxford surgeon John Bull. Evans let this house out to private tenants.

At the time of the 1841 census No. 35 was occupied by Ann Hay (aged c.85), her five servants, and two other independent ladies, Charlotte and Elizabeth Bathurst. In 1851 it was occupied by Mrs Catherine Grayson, a widow of 54 described as having an “independent income from various sources”; she lived here with her 25-year-old daughter, also called Catherine, and four servants.

In 1926 No. 35 ceased to be a private house and was converted into offices. In 1933 the group of three houses at 34–36 St Giles was sold by Exeter College to the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oxford, but they only made use of No. 36. In 1936 this house became the Berks & Bucks Recruiting Zone, the forerunner of the Army, RAF, Royal Navy, and Royal Marine Information Office that it is today.

The following advertisement describing 35 St Giles appeared in Jackson’s Oxford Journal for 15 December 1860:

35 St Giles for sale

34-36 St Giles

Occupants of 35 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841–1860

Mrs Catherine Grayson

1866–1880

Mrs/Miss Durell

1882–1887

J.P. Prestwich, Professor of Geology

1890

J.O. Sankey, Surgeon

1891–1899

Mrs Rogers

1901

Mrs Duffield

1908–1926

Richard Sankey, Physician & Surgeon

1928–1930

Post Office Engineering Department

1936–1971

Oxford, Berks & Bucks Recruiting Zone (1939)
Army & WRAC Recruiting Office (1949)
Army Information Office (1958)

1972–present

Army Information Office
RAF Information Office
Royal Navy & Royal Marine Information Office

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home