ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 36: “Infinite Ideas”


36 St Giles

Nos. 36 is the leftt-hand house of a block of three houses desiged and built by Daniel Evans in 1828/9.

The three houses at 34, 35, and 36 St Giles’ Street are jointly Grade II listed (List Reference No. 1047141).

The block is nine bays wide and three storeys high, with attics and basements.

In 1933 all three houses were sold by Exeter College to the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oxford. .

No. 36 became the Christian Science Reading Room in 1932.

No. 36 was sold with vacant possession and D1 planning consent in 2004.

The church behind remains: it is numbered 36A and now includes the reading room

The Oxford builder Daniel Evans built this house and its two adjoining neighbours in 1829 on a large plot of land leased for 99 years from the Oxford surgeon John Bull. Evans let this house out to private tenants.

34-36 St Giles

This building seems to have been used by John Cross as a Boys’ School, according to the Post Office Directory of 1841.

At the time of the 1841 census No. 36 was occupied by Caroline Dupins (aged c.70), Mary Dupins (aged c. 60), and their four servants. In1851 it was occupied by Mrs Mary Ann Crouch, a widow of 70 described as a fundholder, and her 41-year-old daughter, Miss Mary Ann Hancock, plus a cook and a housemaid. They were both still in the house ten years later, when they also had a resident groom.

In 1881 the house was occupied by Edward T. Turner, the Vice-Principal of Brasenose College, and his wife and four servants: he lived here for 41 years.

In 1928 No. 36 ceased to be a family home and was converted into a hostel for Exeter College.

In 1932 First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oxford moved into No. 36, and the following year they purchased the group of three houses at 34–36 St Giles’ from Exeter College. They used No. 36 as their Reading Room, and built their church in the back garden of Nos. 35 and 36. In 2003/4 a new Reading Room was built in the grounds of the church, and No. 36 was sold.

On 18 January 2017 permission was granted to Jeremy Mogford for “Change of use from offices (Use Class B1) to ancillary hotel accommodation (Use Class C1) to create 5No. ancillary suites for the Old Parsonage Hotel” (16/03032/FUL)

Occupants of 36 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841

John Cross: Boys’ School

1841–1846

Rev. Richard Michell

1852–1866

Mrs Mary A. Crouch

1867–1871

Miss Hancock

1875–1916

Rev Edward Tindal Turner, Fellow of Brasenose, University Registrar to 1896
Mrs Turner (1912–16)

1918–1928

Henry Le Blanc Lightfoot, Bursar of Corpus Christi College
Mrs Le Blanc Lightfoot (1926–8)

1929–1932

Exeter College Hostel

1932–2003

Christian Science Reading Room

Since 2004

Infinite Ideas
(with Mogford Ltd upstairs)

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home