ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 41: Theology Faculty Annexe & Library


41 St Giles

 

41 St Giles’ Street was built in about 1700. It is a Grade II* listed building (List Entry No. 1047144)

 

 

At the time of the 1772 survey of Oxford, No. 41 is recorded as being in the occupation of the Revd Mr Lowry, with its frontage measuring 11 yards 0 feet 11 inches.

At the time of the 1841 census No. 41 was occupied by Ann Collingwood (aged c.70) and Samuel Collingwood (aged c.25), and their two servants.

Alderman William Ward (Mayor of Oxford in 1851 and 1861) and his family lived here for around 80 years from c.1850. At the time of the 1851 census, Ward is described as a coal and slate merchant employing seven men: he had eight children aged between 1 and 18, and they were looked after by three servants. In 1861 four of the children were still at home, and another son had been born in the intervening ten years. By 1881 Mrs Ward had died but William (aged 74) shared the house with his five spinster daughters and three servants. After his death in July 1899, his daughters remained in residence for another quarter of a century.

Occupants of 41 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841–1846

Revd Robert Walker

1851–1916

William Ward, Esq, Alderman, J.P. (1851–1889)

Miss Ward (1890–1916)

1918–1923

No listing

1924–1927

Miss M.V. Nugent
(with Miss J.E. Rabbe listed at 41B in 1924–1926, and Mrs Saunders in 1927)

1928–1935

H.M. Inspector of Taxes
(with Post Office Engineering Department at 41B in 1928–1930,
Miss Starkie 1934 onwards)

1937–1939

Oxford Society

Oxford University Women’s Appointments Committee

Delegacy of Lodgings

+ Indian Civil Service Delegacy and Colonial
Administrative Service Course (1939 only)

1941–1945

Oxford Emergency Medical Service
Oxford Division Medical War Committee
+ Civil Nursing Reserve (from 1943) and
British Red Cross Society (1945)

1947–1952

Oxford University Committee for Appointments
Oxford University Women’s Appointments

+ Postgraduate Medical Education Committee (1947 only)
and Oxford Society (1947–1949 only)

1954–1972

Oxford University Appointments Committee

1973–1976

University of Oxford Mathematics Institute Annexe

c.1990–present

Theology Faculty Annexe and Library

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home