ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 44: St John’s College accommodation


44 St Giles

 

No. 44 probably dates from the late eighteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1068622)

At the time of the 1772 survey of Oxford, No. 44 was in the occupation of Mr Reeves, with its frontage measuring 6 yards 1 foot 7 inches. At about this time that it was rebuilt.

The 1841 census shows No. 44 occupied by Francis Berry, a tin worker, his wife Charlotte, and their three young daughters.

In 1851 census, this house was occupied by Charles Newman, a college servant, and his wife Hannah and their young daughter. Ten years later in 1861 Hannah is still in the house with her two daughters and niece, and in directories for 1874 and 1876 she is described as providing “University Lodgings” here.

In 1881 John Abbey, Diocesan Secretary of the Oxford Church of England Temperance Society, lived here with his wife, his three young daughters, a boarder, and a servant.

Occupants of 44 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1839

Benjamin Atkins
Boot & Shoe maker

1841–1846

Mrs & Miss Taunton (1841)
Miss Maria Taunton
(1846)

1851–1876

Charles Newman
College Servant (1851)

Mrs Hannah Newman
University Lodgings

1880–1886

John Abbey
Secretary to the Agricultural Department of the
Church of England Temperance Society

1887–1909

Edwin Turner

1911–1930

Frederick Leslie Pavière

1932–1939

H.E. Milburn Ltd
Consulting engineers

Royal Automobile Club

1941–1943

H.E. Milburn Ltd
Consulting engineers

Robert Havard (dentist)
Alfred Stroud (physician)

1944–1976

Various doctors, dentists, and chartered surveyors

2003

St John’s College house

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home