ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 45–46: St John’s College Research Centre


45-46 St Giles

This pair of houses, with an iron balcony over the two central front doorways, dates from the early nineteenth century. It is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1047146)

No. 45 At the time of the 1851 census the solicitor Charles Law lived here with his wife Sarah and baby son Charles, plus three house servants. Ten years later the house was occupied by Thomas Batye, a 65-year-old homeopathic surgeon, and his wife and five grown-up children (the eldest son, William, was also a surgeon), plus their two servants.

No. 46 At the time of the 1881 census this house was occupied by William W. Robinson, an unmarried solicitor and coroner aged 64, and his two servants.

Occupants listed in censuses and directories

Date

45 St Giles

46 St Giles

1846

Rev. Stephen John Rigaud

Rev. Stephen Reay, B.D.
1851–1852

Charles James Law
Attorney

1861

Thomas Battye
Surgeon

1866

Rev. W. Acworth, M.A.

Miss Hargrave

1869

Henry Purdue

1871

Edward Benjamin Gray, M.D.

1875

William Wharton Robinson
Solicitor,& Coroner for the
central district of Oxfordshire

1876–1905

Revd Frederick Metcalfe
Vicar of St Michael’s

(Misses Metcalfe 1887–1937)

1907–1915

Alexander George Gibson
Surgeon

1919–1937

Herbert James Pegler
Dental surgeon

1939

City Typewriter Co.
&
Carfax School of Shorthand

(Hunts)

1941–1945

Commissioners of Church
Temporalities in Wales

1947–1954

Herbert James Pegler
Dental surgeon

1956–1962

Hunts (Oxford) Ltd
Typewriter dealers

1964–1973

Eckersley School of English

Cunningham & Gibaud
Loss adjusters

Edmund R. Gibbs & Co.
Certified accountants

1975–1976

1994–1999

Oxford Centre for Hebrew
and Jewish Studies

2001–present

St John’s Research Centre

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home