ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 50: Vacant: Being refurbished


50 St Giles

No. 50 has a late eighteenth-century front on what is probably an early seventeenth-century core. It is jointly Grade II listed with No. 51 next door, which is part of the same building (List Entry No. 1047106). It lies in St Giles' parish, and until 2004 was owned by University College.

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 50 was recorded as then being in the occupation of Mr Richardson, with its frontage measuring 4 yards exactly.

This house was occupied by the broker Thomas Tomkins from 1839 to 1842, which means that there was an overlap with the next tenant.

The 1851 census shows the cabinet maker Caleb New (42) living here with his wife Catherine.

On 9 June 1855 it was advertised as being to let from Midsummer, and was described as a six-roomed house with a front shop and workshop.

In 1861 Edward Bellamy, a bookbinder & stationer aged 29, lived here with his wife and three children and their 17-year-old servant.

From 1866 Mrs Mary Wotton, the widow of Charles Wotton of Brompton, ran a shop here as a tobacconist, newsagent, and fancy stationer. The 1871 census shows her at the age of 54 living over her shop here with her unmarried sister Sophia Hilston (37), who assisted her in the business. The situation was much the same in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. She died here on 26 April 1895.

The stationer Montague Edward Bellamy was here briefly, and then In 1898 the upholsterer & antique furniture dealer Frank Godfrey moved into No. 50, and the 1901 census shows him living here with his wife Ann and their two sons: Archibald (34) was a cabinet maker and William (25) was an upholsterer. Frank died in 1903 and In about 1915 his elder son Archibald changed the name of the business to his own, and remained here dealing in antiques until 1936. He appears to have been living over No. 51 next door in the 1921 census.

In 2004 Nos. 50 and 51 were sold by University College to St John’s College, along with the Eagle & Child pub. All three premises are currently undergoing major refurbishment (24/02496/LBC).

Occupants of 50 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1839–1842

Thomas Tomkins
Broker

1841–1852

Edwin New
Cabinet maker
& Martha New
Milliner & Dressmaker (1841–6)

Caleb New
Cabinet maker (1852)

1861

Edward Bellamy
Bookbinder & stationer

1866–1895

Mrs Mary Wotton
Tobacconist & stationer/Newsagent/Fancy stationer

1896

Montague Edward Bellamy
Stationer

1898–1936

Frank Godfrey
Antique furniture dealer

Archibald E. Godfrey
Dealer in antiques

1937–1980+

The Antiquary
Dealers in antiques (photograph in 1959)

By 1993–1999

John D. Wood & Co. Ltd.
Estate agents

c.2000–2005

Cleo Express

2005–2024

Greens Café

2024–

Vacant: closed for extensive refurbishment

St Giles’ home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home