ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 51: Vacant


51 St Giles

 

No. 51 (left) has a late eighteenth-century front on what is probably an early seventeenth-century core. It is jointly Grade II listed with No. 50 next door, which is part of the same building (List Entry No. 1047106). Nos. 50 and 51 were sold by University College to St John’s College in 2004 along with the Eagle & Child pub

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. No. 51 is recorded as then being in the occupation of Mr James, with its frontage measuring 4 yards exactly.

At the time of the 1851 census this house was occupied by Miss Sarah Jane Proudman, a dressmaker of 25, and her 21-year-old sister.

In 1861 George Barber, a tobacconist aged 29, lived here with his wife.

In 1881 the house was occupied by Edmund Narroway, a 31-year-old fruiterer & greengrocer, and his wife and four children.

Occupants of 51 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1830–46

Benjamin Beale
Boot & shoe maker

1851–18i52

Sarah Jane Proudman
Milliner & dressmaker

1861

George Barber
Tobacconist

1866–1876

Misses J. & E. Clarke
Berlin repository

1880–1881

Edmund Narroway
Greengrocer

1882

W. Sharman
Grocer & provision merchant

1884–1891

James Green
Hairdresser

1893

Mrs Louisa Dolling
Tobacconist

1894–1895

Mrs M.A. Francis
Milliner

1895–1941

Frederick William Gibbs
Confectioner
(Mrs Ellen Gibbs from 1935)

1943–1947

Philip Davis
Confectioner

1949–1971

Stanleys Confectioners

1972–1976

P. Oxford
Confectioner

1998–2017

St Giles Newsagents

2017 Vacant

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home