ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

Nos. 53–54: Part of Regent’s Park College


53-54 St Giles

 

Nos. 53 and 54 St Giles are part of Regent’s Park College in Pusey Street. The front dates from about 1600, but the bays are eighteenth century. The pair of houses is Grade II* listed (List Entry No. 1369439)

There is a passageway to the north of the right-hand house running down into what was Drewett’s Yard

In 1772 a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771. The occupiers and frontage measurements of the two houses were then:

  • No. 53: Mr Walton (4 yards 0 feet 9 inches)
  • No. 54: Mrs Gingill (4 yards 1 foot 3 inches)

53 & 54 St Giles

The 1851 census shows Francis Berry, a widowed tinplate worker and brazier aged 40, living at No. 53 with his four schoolgirl daughters and a servant. In the next ten years he had married again, had another three daughters, and lost a second wife, and the 1861 census shows him here with six of his daughters.

In 1861 No. 54 was occupied by the butcher William Andrews and his wife and baby daughter.

In about 1866 Francis Berry at No. 53 expanded into the house next door at 54, and since then the premises have been one property. At the time of the 1871 census Berry , at the age of 70, is still described as a tinplate worker (employing one man and one boy), and has three of his unmarried daughters living at home.

 

Right This picture shows the joined houses in about 1905, when they were a shop selling china and ironmongery

Occupants listed in censuses and directories

Year

53 St Giles

54 St Giles

1841, 1846

Francis Berry
Tinman & brazier

1851–1852

Thomas Busby
Landed Proprietor

1861

William H. Andrews, then
Mary Anne Andrews

1866–1890

Francis Berry
Ironmonger & tinplate worker

(With the Misses/Miss Berry, dressmakers and registry office, at No. 54 from 1875)

1891–1929

John Lisemore
Ironmonger/China merchant (to 1909)
(see biography re the grave of his wife Ellen and three of his children)

E. & A. Lisemore
Ironmonger (from 1910)

Ernest Lisemore
China warehouse (from 1922)

1932–1954

Roland Bradley Bennett
Jeweller

1956–present

Part of Regent’s Park College

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home