ST GILES’, OXFORD

Back
Forwards

No. 55: Part of Regent’s Park College


Regent's Park College

 

This building probably dates from the late eighteenth century. It is Grade II listed (List Entry No. 1047108).

In recent years it has been the Principal’s Lodgings of Regent’s Park College

 

The college arms over the doorway (below) depict argent on a cross gules an open Bible proper irradiated or the pages inscribed with the words ‘DOMINUS JESUS’ in letters sable on a chief wavy azure a fish or. The motto underneath reads, ‘OMNIA PROBATE QUOD BONUM TENETE’ (1 Thess. 5, v.21: “Prove all things; hold fast that which is good”).

Crest of Regent's Park College

At the time of the 1772 survey of Oxford, the site of No. 55 was house and yard in possession of Mr Wood, with a frontage of exactly 12 yards. The present house must have replaced this house and yard soon afterwards.

The 1861 census shows the wife and three young daughters of James Saunders, a land surveyor, in residence here, looked after by a housemaid, nurse, cook, and underhousemaid, and with a page and a governess. Two articled pupils and a clerk also live in the house. It appears that there was a separate household in the same building comprising Emily Munro, a widowed fundholder, with her sister-in-law, children, and two servants.

At the time of the 1881 census, the Revd Joseph Dodd, aged 70, lived here with his wife and their three servants. The picture below shows the house in about 1905, when it was occupied by John Theodore Dodd.

55 St Giles in 1905

Occupants of 55 St Giles’ Street listed in censuses and directories

1841–1861

James Saunders
Land agent & surveyor

1866–1927

Rev. Joseph Dodd (1866–93)

John Theodore Dodd, M.A. (1894–1900)

Christian Social Union
(J. Theodore Dodd, Hon. Sec.) (1901–19)

John Theodore Dodd, M.A., J.P. (1920–27)

1928–present

Principal’s House, Regent’s Park College

St Giles’ home

Stephanie Jenkins

Oxford History home