CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

6–7 Cornmarket


6-7 Cornmarket in 2009

The above picture taken in 2009 shows the pair of shops at 6 and 7 Cornmarket by J. R. Wilkins, which were rebuilt in 1907. The offices upstairs are called Marlborough Chambers.

No. 6 on the right had already been a tailor’s shop for many years when in the late 1880s Arthur Shepherd moved his tailor’s business here from across the road at 62 Cornmarket Street (where he had been since 1877).

No. 7 on the left was a toy and fancy goods shop run by Frederick Rose & Co and later by the Goodalls, known as the Civet Cat. In 1903 it pioneered the gramophone in Oxford.

In 1908 Arthur Shepherd, the tailor at No. 6, also acquired No. 7, and had the pair of shops rebuilt as one large one for himself. (He moved temporarily to 109 High Street while the shops were being rebuilt.) In 1929 he amalgamated his business with that of Mr Wilton Woodward who was then operating at 110 High Street, forming Shepherd & Woodward.

Boots the Chemist moved into Shepherd’s former shop in about 1955, and remained there until 1972, when they moved into the former Roebuck Inn at 8–10 Cornmarket.

For an interesting picture of Nos. 6 and 7 just before and just after the rebuilding in 1907, see Michael L. Turner and David Vaisey, Oxford Shops and Shopping, page 43, photographs 93 and 94.

In the censuses

1841

No. 6 was occupied by the tailor Joseph Prior (30) and Elizabeth (25), Joseph (6), Robert (5), Ann (3), Elizabeth (2), and Thomas (7 months). The family has three female servants.

1851

No. 6 was occupied by James Cooper (68) a tailor’s foreman and his wife Mary (60); his son James (31), who was also a tailor, his wife Elizabeth (25), and their daughter Alice (11 months). They had one general servant.

No. 7 (described as the “Civet Cat”) was occupied by Frederick Rose (41), an unmarried jeweller and cutler born in Churchill, and his brother Thomas (2). Their sister Eliza (38) was their housekeeper, and they had one general servant. Three students were lodging with them.

1861

No. 6 was occupied by the tailor Robert Prior (25), described as the employer of 18 men. A single man, his sister Anne (23) kept house for him, and they had one general servant. His foreman, a widower of 68, also lived over the shop.

No. 7 was occupied by Frederick Rose (50), a toilet soap maker “&c” (described as “cabinet case makers, cutlers, jewellers & perfumers” in the PO Directory of 1841). Born in Churchill, he was a widower, and living with him were his son Alfred (10), his daughter Mary (8), and his sister Eliza (45), who was his housekeeper. They have one house servant, and also living in the house was a one of the assistants who worked in the shop, William Crake (24).

1881

No. 6 was still occupied by the tailor Robert Prior (44), now the employer of 14 men. He is now married to Emma (38), and they have three daughters: Ethel (15), Maud (8), and Annie (6). They have a cook and a housemaid.

No. 7 was occupied by the fancy warehouseman Thomas Stringer (30), presumably an employee of Rose & Stringer. He is living with his wife Elizabeth (25) and son Albert (2), and they have one servant. Also living in the house is Annie Hall 938), an assistant at the fancy warehouse.

Occupants of 6 and 7 Cornmarket listed in directories etc.

Date

No. 7 (left) No. 6 (right)

1839

William Preedy, Wholesale & Retail Grocer, Cheesemongery & Provision Dealer

Joseph Prior
Tailor (1839-1852)

 

Prior & Son
Tailors and Robemakers (1867–1872)

 

Robert Prior
Tailor & Robe maker (1880–1881)

1841–1861

Frederick Rose, Fancy Repository
(+ Roebuck Coach Office in 1846)

1867

T. P. Rose
Fancy Repository, Soap Maker, and Perfumer

1872–1881

The Civet Cat
and T. P. Rose, Fancy Repository
later Rose & Stringer, Fancy Repository

1890–c.1907

Mrs Louisa Sophia Goodall
Fancy repository & toy warehouse
later Goodall & Sherratt

Arthur Shepherd, Tailor

Upstairs: J. R. Mallam & Son, Auctioneers; J. Stewart Mallam, Chartered Accountants; and RSPCA

Rebuilt c.1908. Numerous additional offices henceforth listed in Marlborough Chambers upstairs

1908

Arthur Shepherd
Tailor

Goodall & Sherratt, Fancy repository

1909–1929

James Smith & Sons, Dyers

Stevens & Co. (later Steveco), Coal merchants (to 1952)

1932–1947

Boots Cash Chemist

1952

James Smith & Sons, Dyers

Dental surgery

1952–1973

Boots The Chemist

1973–1976

No listing

No listing

  6A 6 7

2001–c.2015

Argenteus

Starbucks Coffee

West Cornwall Pasty Co

2015–present

Change Money

Kiehl's

Old pictures on other websites and in books

Drawing showing No. 7 prior to 1846 The main part of the drawing shows the Roebuck Inn, but the small timbered house on the right is the former No. 7

Nos. 6 & 7 in c. 1900, by Henry Taunt, showing the entrance to the Golden Cross on the right, and Goodall & Sherratt in the old No. 6 & 7 on the left. The pre-1907 shop at No. 6 was evidently much larger than No. 7 to the left.

Architect’s design of c.1905 for the present shops by John Wilkins, photographed by Henry Taunt in 1907

Nos. 6 & & in 1908 by Henry Taunt, showing the new Goodall & Sherratt and Arthur Shepherd shops

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home