CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

Cornmarket: Nineteenth-century inns/hotels and pubs


Three of Oxford’s main coaching inns – the Golden Cross, the Clarendon (formerly the Star) and the Roebuck – were in Cornmarket, and in the nineteenth century the street had in addition twelve pubs. Below is a complete list, with landlords where known. Only the Crown survives as a pub.

Cornmarket inns and pubs listed in directories, 1794–present

Present  No

Name of pub

Present building
on the site

East side (south to north)

1

Jolly Farmers

later renamed Original Jolly Farmers

Site of part of Lloyds Bank

5

Golden Cross Inn (later Hotel),
aka Cross Inn

Pizza Express

8–10

The Roebuck

(including the former
Little Cross Inn at No. 9)

Boots the Chemist

18

Bell Inn

Site of part of the former
Marks & Spencer block

20

Star & Garter

Star & Garter (The Tunnel) by 1911

Tunnel Hotel by 1932

21

White Hart Inn
(formerly White Hart & Greyhound)

Site of the northern section of “Next”

25A
later 25

Anchor Inn

(Queen’s Arms in 1841)

Blue Anchor by 1880

On site between Burger King (25) and Pret à Manger (26); later occupied site of 25 as well

West side (north to south)

33

Formerly 32
or 32A

Three Goats

George Hotel from 1853

On site of NatWest Bank

36

Granby’s Head (1794)

Marquis of Granby (1842)

Leopold Arms (by 1880)

North Gate Tavern (by 1911)

“The Works” remainder books

38

Plough

In the vacant former Austin Reed shop

41

Blue Lion

North half of The Orange Shop

52

The Star

Clarendon Hotel from 1863

Site of Clarendon Centre

58A
later 59A

The Crown

The Crown
(between 58 and 59 Cornmarket)

61

The Wellington

Part of Moss Bros site

63

Sun Vaults

Part of HSBC Bank at 62–65

 

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home