CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

The Crown: Entrance between 58 & 59 Cornmarket Street


Passageway to the Crown

The three Crowns of Cornmarket

The present Crown pub (entrance shown above) is at the end of a passageway between 58 and 59 Cornmarket, is the only surviving pub in Cornmarket. It was originally numbered 58A (or 58½), but later settled on the number 59A.

The original Crown Inn stood on the site of 59, 60, and 61 Cornmarket Street but was closed down in about 1750. The present Crown has been created from its stables behind, which explains why it is so far back from the line of the road.

The Crown Inn/pub should not be confused with the Crown Tavern that until the 1830s was at 3 Cornmarket on the other side of the road.

The Crown in February 2009

The Crown in 1861

 

Left: This extract from the 1876 map of Cornmarket Street shows the Crown Inn (marked Inn) and its long yard behind. (The P.H. a short distance to the south marks the Wellington public house at No. 61.)

The Crown at 59A Cornmarket Street listed in directories etc.

Date

The Crown

Crown Yard

1839–present

Subject to university wine licences

1823: George Allen

1830: John Bradley

1832–1845: Barrington Buggins

1846–1848: William Noyes

1850–1867: William Peter Walker Hebborn
1871, 1872: Mrs Sarah Hebborn

1880: Mrs Betts

1881–1890: Henry Taylor

1895–1905: James Alfred Whiting

1911, 1914: John Taylor

1907: Mrs Ivins

1921–1928: George Gardner)
(also the Candied Friend restaurant 1925–1928)

1930–1954: Benjamin Percy Bolt
(also the Moorish Tea Lounge Restaurant in 1930)

1956–1960: Alfred James William Smith

1962 onwards: listed simply as “Crown Inn”
with name of landlord not given

Richard Sanders
Smith & Farrier
in 1839

Crown Inn, 59A Cornmarket Street in the censuses

1851

William P. W. Hebborn (25), innkeeper, lived here at the Crown Inn with his wife Sarah (27) and their baby Mary (six months). Also living on the premises were an ostler and two female servants.

1861

William P. W. Hebborn (35) was still here with his wife Sarah (38) and their children Mary (1), Fred (9), Harry (8), Frank (3), William (1), and Charles (9 months). They had three servants (two female and one male) and one visitor staying.

1871

Sarah Hebborn (48), now widowed, was herself the innkeeper and lived at the Crown Inn with her children Mary (20), Fred (19), who was a keeper in the stable, Harry (18), who was a fly driver, and Frank (13), William (11), Edwin (9), and Alice (6), who were at school. They had one domestic servant.

1881

Henry Taylor (42), licensed victualler, lived here at the Crown Inn with his wife Maria (40) and daughter (8). They had two boarders (an inn ostler and a college servant) and two visitors (a grocer’s assistant and a general labourer).

1891

George Moore (38), innkeeper, lived here at the Crown Inn with his wife Mary (47). A second household at the inn was headed by Thomas Johnson (42), a waterman: the five young people living with him are described as his sons and daughters, but as they all have different surnames from him and the eldest was aged 26, it seems more likely that they were lodgers.

Charles Townsend (38), a rent collector, lived at Crown Cottage: this is the only census in which it is mentioned. With him was his wife Emily (41), who was a caretaker, and their boarder.

1901

James Whiting (63), licensed victualler, lived here at the Crown Inn with his wife Mary (57), plus a boarder and two servants.

1911

John Taylor (52), licensed victualler, lived in ten rooms at the Crown Inn with his wife Johanna (49) and their niece Kate Tredwell (17), who both assisted in the business. Two servants lived with them (a general servant and an ostler).

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home