Cornmarket: Old views
Looking north from Carfax
Above: on the left is the Midland Bank of 1896–7 and on the right Lloyds Bank of 1900–3
Above and below: H. Samuel jeweller moved into 1 Cornmarket by 1911
Above: the first shop in view on the right is Davis’s at 2 Cornmarket
Above: The Clarendon Hotel is on the left, and on the right is Market Street, then 13–20 Cornmarket (demolished to make way for the Marks & Spencer building) and the tall Buol’s Restaurant at 21.
Above: First on the left is Henry Woodward, outfitter at No. 51,
and Long’s Registry can be seen upstairs at No. 48.
First on the right is Mrs Andrews’ milliner’s shop (with the large blind) at No. 22;
Gillman & Son boot makers at No. 23; and the Capital & Counties Bank Ltd at No. 24.
Above: On the right are 20–28 Cornmarket.
The second building with the striped blind is the White Hart public house at No. 21
Above: a scene in the late 1890s. On the right is part of No. 23 (Gillman & Son, boot makers);
then Luff the Chemist at No. 24; Frank Long the Cutler at No. 25, the Blue Anchor pub at No. 25A;
Zacharias at Nos. 26 & 27; and Harvey Bros, tea dealers, at No. 28
Above: Zach’s on the right advertises motoring outfits under its top window
Looking south towards Carfax
Above: on the left is Margetts the hatter at No. 12, then an estate agent at No. 11,
and the Roebuck Hotel at Nos. 10, 9, and 8 Cornmarket
This phototgraph shows Cornmarket in the snow on 26 April 1908,
and was used for a Christmas greetings postcard later that year.
Above: St Michael’s Church in 1834, looking down Ship Street