CORNMARKET, OXFORD

Back
Next

41–42 Cornmarket Street: Charity shop


41 & 42 Cornmarket

Nos. 41 and 42 are a pair of seventeenth-century houses that were probably refronted in the eighteenth century and now have a modern restored front. They are Grade II listed (list entry 1047328).

They have always been in the parish of St Michael-at-the-Northgate Church.

These two houses were occupied as follows in 1772, when a survey of every house in the city was taken in consequence of the Mileways Act of 1771:

  • 41: Mr Bartlet (frontage 4 yards, 1 ft. and 4 in.)
  • 42: Mrs Cole (frontage 3 yards, 2 ft. and 5 in.)

The Blue Lion pub was at No. 41 in the first half of the nineteenth century, until 1845. The last landlord was George Garlick, the baker at No. 42 next door, and the two shops then combined to form a wine & spirit merchant’s.

In 1962 Nos. 41 and 42 were converted into one shop by Salisbury’s Leather goods (photograph).

Occupants of 41–42 Cornmarket Street listed in directories etc.

Date

No. 42

No. 41

1839

William Roberts
Corn & Flour dealer

BLUE LION
Landlords (subject to 19C wine licences):
Thomas Bartlett (1794)
James or Jason Prior (1830–1842)
George Garlick (1845)

1841

George Garlick
Grocer

1846

Shillingford & Phillips
Wine & spirit merchants

1851–1852

1861

James Slatter Steane & Co.
Wine and spirit merchants

Part of either Slatter premises at No. 42
or Lillingston premises at No. 40

1867

William Lillingston,
Ladies’ boot-maker (also at No. 40)

1872

1880

F. Blagrove
Watchmaker, jeweller,& electric gilder (also at No. 40)

1890

Walter Tompson
Fancy draper

1896–1902

William Mayo
Wine & spirit merchants

1903–1911

William Mayo, Wine & spirit merchants

1914

Millin & Co Ltd, Tailors

S. Tetley & Sons Ltd
Tobacconist

1921

Frank S. Smith, Confectioner

1925–1935

J. Molloy
Gown specialist, costumier & milliner

1945–1952

S. H. Barnett Ltd, Costumiers (1947)

Barnett-Hutton Costumiers (1953)

1954–1956

Salisbury’s Leather goods

1958–1962

Bewlay Tobacconists Ltd

1964–1976     

Salisbury’s Leather Goods

By 2007– 2017

Orange Mobile Phones (later EE)

2017 & 2018

Children's Air Ambulance charity shop

2018–

Vacant

41–42 Cornmarket Street in the censuses

1841

No. 41 (Blue Lion): James Prior (40), victualler, lived here at the pub with Eliza (40) and Emma (9) and Harriet (6). Living with the family was one female servant, and an independent lady aged 50.

No. 42: The grocer George Garlick (30) lived here with Anne (30) and Lucy (40), plus an apprentice shopman and one male and one female servant.

1851

No. 41: Not listed: presumably part of the Shillingford & Phillips business premises to the south, with the staff living over the adjoining shop at No. 42

No. 42: John C. Blake (30), described as a wine merchant, lived over this side of the shop with his wife Louisa (30) and two wine merchant’s clerks. They had one servant.

1861

No. 41: Described as uninhabited.

No. 42: Jane Steane (64), described as the widow of a wine merchant, lived here with her bachelor son James Slatter Steane (32), a wine merchant. They had one female servant.

1871

No. 41: No listing.

No. 42: James Slatter Steane (42), wine merchant, lived here over his shop with his wife Eliza (32) and their children Marian (6), Ruth (5), Amy (4), and Edward (2), plus his widowed mother-in-law Rebecca Allin. They had a 15-year-old servant girl.

1881

No. 41: Described as uninhabited again.

No. 42: Jane Steane (64) continued to live here with her bachelor son James Slatter Steane (32), a wine merchant. They had one female servant.

1891

No. 41: Walter Thompson (33), a fancy draper, lived here over his shop with his wife Lucy (29) and their son Reginald (1) plus one domestic servant. A draper's assistant also lived with them.

No. 42: Listed as uninhabited, but named as the Blue Lion.

1901

No. 41: Described as uninhabited and not in occupation.

No. 42: Described as uninhabited but in occupation.

1911

No listing for either shop.

Oxford History Home

© Stephanie Jenkins

Cornmarket Home